Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Riders of the Purple Sage - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 8th, 2007 02:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Patty I do listen to books on tape.  I listen to Cold Mountain as I drove though the Carolinas.  John Adams when I was in Boston .  I use to buy alot of tapes at outlet stores.  I am getting away from them now as all the cheap goods ones I have listened to already.

I never go anywhere without a book.  I have a car book that is always in the car just in case.  Right now it is Edward Cothams Battle of the Bay.  My car never passes a bookstore i swear.

Posted: Mon Jan 8th, 2007 02:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Patty I do listen to books on tape.  I listen to Cold Mountain as I drove though the Carolinas.  John Adams when I was in Boston .  I use to buy alot of tapes at outlet stores.  I am getting away from them now as all the cheap goods ones I have listened to already.

I never go anywhere without a book.  I have a car book that is always in the car just in case.  Right now it is Edward Cothams Battle of the Bay.  My car never passes a bookstore i swear.

Posted: Mon Jan 8th, 2007 04:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Some people find audio books satisfying while they drive.  I don't have a CD player in my car.  Besides, I like the FEEL of a book in my hand.  If I need to leaf back to find a paragraph, I generally remember whether it's on the left or right page, top half or bottom.

Patty. Loud and clear. Stuff on the screen is handy and very accessible, but there is no substitute for the book. Riffling the pages, leafing back a page or two, dropping in an envelope or whatever else is handy as a bookmark while you make a snack or scrabble for a beverage. Can't beat the book. Have the ORs on CD, wouldn't trade that for anything, but I'd really rather have the book. On this screen you can't lean back on the recliner in your snuggies with the bankie adjusted just right and the light coming over your shoulder and lap up the pages. And with a book, as you said, you know were you saw it -- one or two pages back, left, bottom half.  On screen, where the hell did I see that? Start cursoring back. Have no idea where it was. Just keep scanning back. (Big sigh.) Love the book. Appreciate the screen, but it doesn't quite give the satisfaction of the book.

Ole

Posted: Mon Jan 8th, 2007 04:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ole , I think we all are birds of a feather.  I know all those feelings.  I do like to listen to books on tape in the car though.  I tend to buy used or discount tapes of books I have already read.  Issac's Storm comes to mind or Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen by Larry McMurtry which if you haven't read it Patty and Ole get it now!!! It's on reading and books.  My favorite McMurtry book.   Now back to my book. 

PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ole , I think we all are birds of a feather.  I know all those feelings.  I do like to listen to books on tape in the car though.  I tend to buy used or discount tapes of books I have already read.  Issac's Storm comes to mind or Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen by Larry McMurtry which if you haven't read it Patty and Ole get it now!!! It's on reading and books.  My favorite McMurtry book.   Now back to my book. 

PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
ole

Mana: 

By the way, I have no books on tape. The idea is intriguing, but I know it wouldn't work for me. My attention wanders from time to time (it always has. Don't give me any age agitation.) With a physical book, it doesn't matter. On tape, I'm going to lose track and be unable to backtrack and take it up again. Waste of time and the price of the tape or CD. I'll opt for the easy way out. The book.

Ole

Posted: Mon Jan 8th, 2007 04:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
ole

Mana: 

Susan:

Wambaugh sits on my end table at this very moment. So far, I've managed to make dinner and ignore it. So far, I got on line to chat and I've resisted it. At this moment, I'm very sleepy and should take advantage of that fact and go to bed. Realistically, if I picked it up right now, I would not sleep untill sometime tomorrow afternoon. Can't be whipping this old bod around that severiously so I will awake at a reasonable hour tomorrow, take the dog to get her nails clipped, eat something and then .... don't even think about talking to me until Tuesday!

Ole

Posted: Mon Jan 8th, 2007 04:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Well right now I am happy with my biography of George Drouillard hunter and interpreter for Lewis and Clark, other wise I might growl at you. 

Get to bed resist.  I on the other hand have some hours left here on the left coast to still read. 

Posted: Tue Jan 9th, 2007 01:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

You folks are so much like I am. Barnes and Noble is almost a no, no for me. The Borders that I loved closed a few months ago to my sorrow.  There is always the Books a Million twenty minutes further south.

Today I did go into Barnes and Noble to spend my birthday gift card. I tried to behave, but did walk out spending $13.00 more than the card allowed, all on Civil War reading.  Hubby says I am "obsessed" but if I weren't reading Civil War history it would be something else I'd be reading because I am an unrepentent  book freak.

The posts about O Henry reminded me of a very funnt story of his we read years ago in high school. These two scalawags capture a child to hold for ransom, but he is so naughty, so unbearable, they set him free. I don't recall the details, but it seemed like such a funny story to me that I never forgot it.

Posted: Tue Jan 9th, 2007 06:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
ole

Mana: 

...or Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen by Larry McMurtry ...

Was totally unaware of that one but, as I am a fan of McMurtry's tale-telling capabilities, I will check it out before signing off.

Ole

Posted: Tue Jan 9th, 2007 01:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Marie

Mana: 

CleburneFan,

The story is titled "The Ransom of Red Chief", and IIRC the child's father demands the kidnappers pay HIM to take the brat back and they gladly DO IT !!!

I don't have the same problem with Barnes & Noble as y'all do.  Living in a small town the nearest book sotre is Toledo and I go there once a year to a cat show.  The route I take is nowhere near a book store and does not pass a mall.  Amazon.com is my bogeyman.

Regards from NW Ohio,

Jana

Posted: Tue Jan 9th, 2007 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Walter Benjamin is an essay .  I really like McMurtry's nonfiction even more than his fiction.  His Roads is my second favorite. 

Jana, I have a Barnes and Noble in one direction and Boarders in another .  I have gone to each not the same day but then come home and go on line to Amazon.  The Barnes ands Noble does not have a good Civil War section .and the parking there is terrible so I avoid it most of the time. 

Posted: Tue Jan 9th, 2007 04:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Living in a small town has its perks. The local B&N is at most 10 minutes from walking out my door to walking in theirs. There's a Waldenbooks in the "mall," but I almost never go in there.  Edward R. Hamilton is perilous. Get that catalog and all those delectible titles just whisper "pick me....pick me." And the deep, deep discounts scream with justification. abebooks is the safest -- you have to be looking for a specific title which keeps me from browsing through stacks.

Ole

Posted: Wed Jan 10th, 2007 12:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Marie wrote: CleburneFan,

The story is titled "The Ransom of Red Chief", and IIRC the child's father demands the kidnappers pay HIM to take the brat back and they gladly DO IT !!!

Jana

I had completely forgotten that very clever twist to the story. Thanks for reminding me.   A modern twist on that story was an 80s movie with Bette Midler, Danny DeVito and Judge Reihnholdt where DeVito has his wife (Middler) kidnapped by two inept and hapless conspirators who end up siding with Middler to turn the tables on an ever more frustrated DeVito.

Posted: Wed Jan 10th, 2007 01:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Borders or Barnes & Noble?  Posh.  Real economy minded gluttons for punishment frequent Library sales and the all powerful all corrupting Half Price Books.

Books on tape are a godsend to people like me... 20+ hours of driving a week.  You can only listen to so much talk radio, music etc.  Publilc Libraries and their racks of Books on CD & Tape plus the ability for interlibrary loan make it possible to pass the time.

Posted: Thu Jan 11th, 2007 01:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: Borders or Barnes & Noble?  Posh.  Real economy minded gluttons for punishment frequent Library sales and the all powerful all corrupting Half Price Books.

Books on tape are a godsend to people like me... 20+ hours of driving a week.  You can only listen to so much talk radio, music etc.  Publilc Libraries and their racks of Books on CD & Tape plus the ability for interlibrary loan make it possible to pass the time.

My version of cheap books is to go to Amazon.com and see if the book I want is available used. I have had pretty good luck with used books there. Sometimes, though, I am too impatient to wait for a book to arrive so I intrepidly run into B&N kidding myself that I will be able to resist the books calling out to me and leave with just one.

One thing helps me resist. It seems as if suddenly Civil War books have shot up in price. Some run over $30.00 a book and I don't mean the coffee table picture books...just regular text and a few maps and photos type books are now in the high $20s and even well into the $30s. That high altitude is too rich for my blood.

Current time is 08:10 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2886 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 27 queries executed.