Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Richard Preusser - 41st New York Infantry - Help Looking for an individual - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 11th, 2008 03:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
boxley

Mana: 

My wifes great-grandfather served with the 41st New York, and I have been trying for the past several years to find out if he was on active duty and with his unit at the time of the Gettysburg campaign. There is some question about this because he was injured during the winter of 1862 and then I have no record of him again until August of 1863 when he was put in the brig for losing his rifle. I have seen his pension records, I have checked the morning reports at the National Archives (many pages missing, including those of July 1863) and I have checked with the New York state archives to see if they had any record, which they didn't. I believe I have exhausted all possibilities, but if anyone else has any idea of where I could check, I would be grateful for that information.

Posted: Fri Jul 11th, 2008 04:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

boxley-

I decided to look up Richard Preusser in the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (CWSS).

Civil War Soldiers and Sailor System

The only Richard Preusser I find is listed as a private in Co. E of the 39th NY. The only Preusser I find in the 41st NY is Charles Preusser, a sergeant in Co. C. Perhaps the two were related.

I can't tell if the problem is an omission on the CWSS rolls, or your man was actually in the 39th NY (They were at Gettysburg, too). But something does not compute here.

Posted: Fri Jul 11th, 2008 12:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
boxley

Mana: 

There is actually a Richard Priester (or something like that) listed in that data base and I believe that is him, just a misspelling. His pension records definately show him as having served as a private in company E of the 41st New York.

Posted: Fri Jul 11th, 2008 02:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

boxley-

Ah- a different spelling- the bane of genealogists everywhere. Yes, I see a Richard "Preisser" in Co. E of the 41st NY. Someone got a little careless with a: "u" and it became an : i."

As far as your original problem goes- without duty rosters it might be difficult to determine whether or not your man was actually at Gettysburg. It is possible that he is mentioned in someone's personal account of the battle, a member of his company perhaps. Its also possible that he is mentioned in some unit history.

Here are some possible sources (scroll down). You might take a look at the books by Field and Sturcke, or Martin, or even Heusinger (how good is your German?  ;))

41st NY Infantry Regiment during the Civil War - NY Military Museum and Veterans Research Center

Here is a picture of some 41st NY guys at Manassas in July of 1862.

41st new york infantry in a group at manassas - civil war soldiers

You've probably seen it before, but it costs me nothing to include it.

I wish you luck on finding out the truth, but the odds seem unfavorable.

Posted: Fri Jul 11th, 2008 02:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
boxley

Mana: 

Thank you very much for the info, Texas Defender. I realize that I am unlikely to find out anything more than what I already know, but the research is always enjoyable anyway.

Current time is 01:01 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4663 seconds (45% database + 55% PHP). 24 queries executed.