Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Genealogy > Help Looking for an individual > Charles Marshall - aid/secretary of the ANV

Charles Marshall - aid/secretary of the ANV - Help Looking for an individual - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Apr 12th, 2007 01:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Looking for information on Charles Marshall. I know he was Lee's secretary, wrote his departing speech to the troops and was the only confederate present at the McClean house. Also, wrote a book relating to his tenure with Lee and is related to John Marshall, chief justice, and other Marshall's who participated in the civil war. Currently looking for his family background, i.e. birth place, education, etc.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Apr 12th, 2007 05:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Charles Marshall was appointed to Lee's staff as an aide-de-camp. In this capacity, as a major, he served during 1862 and 1863. Later, as a lieutenant colonel, he was an assistant adjutant general (1864). He accompanied General Lee to the surrender meeting at Wilmer McLean's house in April of 1865.

I believe that he was the grand nephew of Chief Justice John Marshall, but I haven't gotten into his genealogy.

Here is a picture of his tombstone in Green Mount Cemetery in Baltimore:

Charles Marshall (1830 - 1902) - Find A Grave Memorial

Here is a book that might answer your other questions:

Amazon.com: Lee's Aide-de-Camp: Books: Charles Marshall,Frederick Maurice,Gary W. Gallagher

Posted: Thu Apr 12th, 2007 12:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

T.D.

Thanks for your help. His tombstone and location in Baltimore was a nice addition to what I already have. Have ordered his book. Has anyone read it?

Of note, there were numerous Marshalls from Va. Some notables - Col. James K. Marshall (KIA leading Pettigrews brigade July 3 at Gettysburg), Col. Thomas C. Marshall (7th Va Cav, KIA Nineveh, Va).

As I mentioned in an earlier posting, these individuals are related to John Buford, Jubal Early, Robert E. Lee, George W. Randolph (CSA Secretary of War), etc. On a more recent connection, this is the same lineage for George C. Marshall - chief of staff during WWII.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Apr 12th, 2007 02:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
David White

Mana: 

Marshall brought the Stuart Gettysburg controversy to a roaring flame when he announced at the dinner party of a John Hopkins Professor that he had recommmended to Lee that Stuart be court martialed.  From then until his death he was the primary foil to John Mosby in that controversy. 

Posted: Thu Apr 12th, 2007 04:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

John Buford's wife, Martha McDowell Duke Buford (Called: "Patsy"), was indeed related to BG (and Sec of War), George Randolph, and the two colonels who were killed in action, Thomas Marshall (7th VA Cavalry) and James Marshall (52nd NC).

She was also related to:

MG Irwin McDowell (2nd cousin), BG Napoleon Buford (Half brother-in-law), BG Abe Buford (3rd cousin), LTG Jubal Early (4th cousin), BG Basil Duke (1st cousin), and Colonel Louis Marshall of Pope's staff.

Patsy was the grand daughter of the sister of John Marshall, the Chief Justice. Her maternal grandfather was Abraham Buford, , who served in the Revolutionary War. Through that line, she is also a cousin of her husband, John Buford.

Posted: Thu Apr 12th, 2007 10:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Thanks again TD. Have that information. Was looking for his personal history, i.e. W.P. graduate ?, etc. It's amazing the intertwining of families. But when one considers the fact that there were only a couple of ports of entry during the 17th century then it seems more plausible that there is so much interrelating of these families. Charles Marshall is mentioned in numerous books but only in brief passages with no description of his personal history.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Apr 12th, 2007 11:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

I don't believe that Charles Marshall ever attended West Point. However, I haven't read his book. So, I can't tell you at present where he went to college.

As for Marshalls who attended West Point, there are a couple of connections.

Confederate BG Humphrey Marshall of KY was a member of the Class of 1832. I believe that his great grandfather,Thomas Marshall,  a friend of George Washington, was the father of Chief Justice Marshall. Humphrey Marshall was a close competitor with BG Abe Buford for the title: "Greatest Civil War General," as both weighed over 300 pounds. (I've decided to leave Winfield Scott out of the competition).

Here is some information on John Marshall and his relatives:

Thomas Marshall

Union Colonel Louis Marshall was a member of the Class of 1849. He was the son of Robert E. Lee's older sister, Anne. His father was William Marshall.

Union Major Elisha Marshall of NY was a member of the Class of 1850. He was in the 5th US Infantry. He retired from the Army as a colonel in 1867. I see no connection there.

Since I find that my knowledge of Charles Marshall is inadequate, I'm going to have to look into him. <g>.

Posted: Fri Apr 13th, 2007 12:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

In regards to Lee's sister Anne, she supported her son Louis and husband William Marshall of Baltimore (a "black republican") but sent a message saying she doubted the federals "can whip Robert". Nephew Louis Marshall served on General John Pope's staff. To Lee's dismay, "I could forgive Louis fighting against us, but not his joining a miscreant as Pope", Lee admitted to his sister Mary. More than once, Lee spoke of his regret that young Marshall "is in such bad company". Most of these individuals the Marshall, Buford, Early, Lee, etc. probably were unaware of their family relationships or were they? Currently looking into a potential Pickett/Marshall relationship which would link with R. E. Lee.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Apr 13th, 2007 12:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Since I made my last posting, I've gone to the Stratford site, and found a nice document. (Click on it for larger image). It is the terms of surrender and was donated to Stratford by Charles Marshall, son of our Lieutenant Colonel Charles A. Marshall. So, at least we have established that he had living progeny in 1955.

General Ulysses S. Grant's Terms of Surrender

I don't know of any relationship of Pickett to Lee.(Which doesn't mean that there wasn't any).  I believe that he was a cousin of Harry Heth.

Posted: Thu May 3rd, 2007 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

All these intermingled shirt-tail relatives leads me to believe that all had generations of forebearers in the same social circles -- we're talking mostly Virginians here, right? Did the same sort of society exist in, say, Charleston or New Orleans?

Ole

Posted: Fri May 4th, 2007 12:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Ole

Don't have any first hand information relating to New Orleans or Charleston, but would assume that this intemingling did exist there also. One way of keeping the property, land, money, etc. in the family was marrying within the family, also one knew of the background of the individuals. In addition, genetics was'nt really understood at that that time other than animal husbandtry.

Doc C

Current time is 10:26 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Genealogy > Help Looking for an individual > Charles Marshall - aid/secretary of the ANV

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3614 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 24 queries executed.