Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Sherman our first colonel - William T. Sherman - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2012 08:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Pvt 13th US Inf Co D

Mana: 

General Sherman was the first colonel of the 13th US Inf. The 13th was formed in early 1861 out of Missouri. We were the first Federal unit to engage at Vicksburg, Mississippi in June-July 1863. I also was told that the 13th was Sherman's bodyguard, a kind of Praetorian Guard.

Some guys in my unit told me this stuff. I was very interested. I just want to know that if this is true. I don't doubt them but I want to make sure

If anyone has anything else to add feel free to post. I for one would love to learn more.

Thanks,

Cliff

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2012 09:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Pvt-

Here is a regimental history of the 13th U.S. Infantry. It goes much farther back than the Civil War, and extends far beyond it to the current day.

13th Infantry Regiment (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And your Co. D-

13th US Infantry - Company 'D' - 1861

Last edited on Fri Feb 17th, 2012 09:21 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2012 09:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Pvt 13th US Inf Co D

Mana: 

Thanks TD

This is really interesting

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2012 09:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Mark

Mana: 

Yes, Colonel Sherman was notified of his appointment to be the commander of the 13th US Infantry on May 14, 1861. The 13th US was one of ten new regular army regiments authorized to be formed in early 1861. Sherman received permission from the War Department to raise the regiment out at Jefferson Barracks, but his second in command took over the enlistment and training process because Sherman was required to stay in Washington as he had received orders to assist with organizing the troops arriving in Washington DC. I'm not sure if he remained in command of the 13th US or not, but it was not uncommon for officers to hold a volunteer rank and a regular army rank. So while he may have been the colonel of the 13th, he may never have actually done anything in that capacity. All my info is from Sherman's Memoirs. Hope that helps and welcome to the board!

Mark

Posted: Sat Feb 18th, 2012 03:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Pvt 13th US Inf Co D

Mana: 

Thanks Mark for the info and the welcome.

Current time is 03:36 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3104 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.