Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

James Longstreet - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Mar 8th, 2014 04:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
wondering

Mana: 

I can't find a thread dedicated to Lt. Gen. James Longstreet. I would be interested in honest opinions of learned members on his performance, patriotism, and legacy.

Posted: Sun Mar 9th, 2014 03:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Just to get the ball rolling for you I did a search for Longstreet in the forums. Here's some of what I came up with:

http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1673&forum_id=1&highlight=Longstreet

martymtg wrote:
If you've read Longstreet's memoirs, he seems to put Grant on a higher pedestal than Lee.

You probably know of this story. There was a reunion of Confederate generals many years later. long after Lee had passed. There was a strong resentment in the south toward Longstreet (he was almost regarded as a traitor) because he was outspoken in his belief that Lee's decision to fight at Gettysburg, rather than head for Washington, cost the South the war.

Anyway, he's NOT invited to this affair. And amidst all the pageantry and backslapping, in strides Pete. He heads straight up the aisle, for a moment there's dead silence. Slowly applause begins, and it turns into full-scale cheers.

I wish I could remember where I read this.

Crazy Delawares wrote:
Yep! Read old Pete's memoirs. I believe he and Grant were friends before the war. I'm guessing all the way back to West Point...maybe. Either way, I be their conversation would be educational and entertaining.
Longstreet going to the reunion would be par for him. He was a bit...hardheaded shall we say? Longstreet is my favorite Reb general. I admire RE Lee but, like James Longstreet.

Texas Defender wrote:
martymtg-

There was also southern resentment of General Longstreet because he became a republican. :X

General Longstreet disagreed with General Lee at Gettysburg and on Gettysburg, but I don't think he ever lost his profound respect for General Lee. Longstreet's son, Robert Lee Longstreet, was born on 20 October 1863, which was AFTER Gettysburg. (Robert Lee Longstreet survived until 1940 and is buried at Arlington).

General Grant and General Longstreet were together at West Point for three years and became friends. When Grant and Longstreet were young lieutenants, Longstreet introduced his cousin, Julia Dent, to Grant. On August 22, 1848, Julia Dent became Mrs. Grant, and LT Longstreet was the best man at the wedding.

Posted: Sun Mar 9th, 2014 03:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
wondering

Mana: 

Never heard the tale of the reunion -- pure gold! :D

Posted: Tue May 27th, 2014 04:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
wondering

Mana: 

I was reading the book of Lt.-Col. Freemantle last night (the red-coated Brit in the movie Gettysburg), and not having read it before, found fascinating many details he relates of mundane things, not to mention his experience at the battle. The observational tidbits of period behaviour witnessed by an outsider are absolutely unique.

How this guy got close to the Confederate leadership is a bloody mystery to me, but he did, and relates conversations with Lee and Longstreet. He obviously became an advocate for the South, but I do not overly doubt his honesty. I was just wondering if anyone may know what became of the flask he gave Longstreet after Pickett's charge. I like drinking artifacts, hope that one made it to a museum.

The book is a good read if you haven't (though you probably have, I am slow). Looking for outlandish Longstreet anecdotes isn't easy, but patience is a virtue.

http://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/fremantle/fremantle.html

Posted: Tue May 27th, 2014 07:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
wondering

Mana: 

I should have started a separate thread for Freemantle, but ... One of the most stunning things read:

"4th July, Saturday.--I was awoke at daylight by Moses complaining that his valuable trunk, containing much public money, had been stolen from our tent whilst we slept. After a search it was found in a wood hard by, broken open and minus the money. Dr. Barksdale had been robbed in the same manner exactly. This is evidently the work of those rascally stragglers, who shirk going under fire, plunder the natives, and will hereafter swagger as the heroes of Gettysburg."

Wow. Miscreants and thieves could not spare their brethren after the carnage of Day 3. Bottom-feeders have existed since the beginning of time, but still, wow.

Posted: Tue May 27th, 2014 07:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

We actually talked briefly about Freemantle in the A Southern Victory thread. There was another site that you might have been interested in, a colfreemantle.com. I hope that doesn't try linking cause the site is sadly gone, it's Japanese writing. Using the automatic translation program it looks like it's now a Japanese job search site. Terrible, really. That was an interesting site. Forget if it explained anything further than his book does.

Posted: Sat May 31st, 2014 03:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Freemantle flatters Longstreet, but the show's over. What does the general do, so reticent to give the order that dooms the South, contesting yet a lost field? He laughs, with sanguine chagrin.

There are many in the Confederacy I admire. Lee gets the limelight, Davis his soapbox, a bevy of swooners after Forrest and Hood; but when I consider them all, favor still falls on those to whom much was owed, and the accolades were few.

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2014 02:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

wondering wrote:
Freemantle flatters Longstreet, but the show's over. What does the general do, so reticent to give the order that dooms the South, contesting yet a lost field? He laughs, with sanguine chagrin.

There are many in the Confederacy I admire. Lee gets the limelight, Davis his soapbox, a bevy of swooners after Forrest and Hood; but when I consider them all, favor still falls on those to whom much was owed, and the accolades were few.

Very well spoken.

Posted: Fri Jun 6th, 2014 07:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Thank-you, sir.

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2014 02:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
wondering

Mana: 

"I hope I die before you do, because I want to be at the gates of hell when Jubal Early sees you wearing a Yankee uniform."

For those interested in Longstreet and the Battle of the Wilderness, here is an excellent NPS presentation from the Gettysburg National Military Park Winter Lecture Series. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh590o6zJNw

Posted: Sat Jul 5th, 2014 03:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

wondering-

If you're going to have a Longstreet thread, it might as well contain this excellent bio produced by our Australian friends.

http://www.americancivilwar.asn.au/meet/2001_02_mtg_longstreet.pdf

The incident at a West Point reunion where Longstreet reacted to Wheeler's blue coat is mentioned on Page 16.

Posted: Sat Jul 5th, 2014 07:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Sincere thanks for the link to a well-considered paper, Defender, and strong challenge to assertions too often saddled on the old warhorse (such bitter irony in what they did to him). All the best, sir.

Posted: Mon Jul 7th, 2014 11:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
wondering

Mana: 

He busted his hump, and they sold him down the river.

Current time is 12:03 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3406 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 28 queries executed.