Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Union Infantryman - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 27th, 2007 04:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Roger

Mana: 

This is the last one of my completed Civil War figures and probably won't cause as much of a debate as the Confederate figure, but who knows:D.

It is a 54mm white metal figure by Shenandoah Miniatures. Once again comments regarding accuracy are very welcome. It has been suggested to me that the trousers are too dark but from what little I've seen they are within the realms of possibility.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2007 02:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Roger

Mana: 

Ed, first of all thank you for the compliment. The sling question, if you haven't already guessed, is in part to do with my hobby.

As for yours, I'd give the cigars a miss these days but would be more than willing to learn something of really good Bourbon:D 

Roger

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2007 10:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Another well painted mini, gonna hate me for this but the cartidge box is being worn incorrectly should sit further back. That said, you can always say he's a Regular, their trousers were dark blue early in the war and some state troops ended up w/ issues of Dark Blue trousers.

But my complaint is w/ the figure, not the painter who keeps showing outstanding work.

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 05:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Johan, I'm far from "hating" you, thats the kind of response I was after. In future when selecting a figure to paint I'll bear in mind the cartridge pouch should be further back. Thanks, this is helping with my understanding how soldiers of the period wore their equipment

I read somewhere that some Union troops were issued black trousers, Do you know anything about that?

Ed, You'll proabably hate me for this:D the only American whiskey I've had is Jack Daniels and Jim Beam.  I can almost hear the gasps from here. After 23 years in the Navy I'm quite proud of how much booze I've tried and where+_  I'm more of a beer man though, "room temp and no ice in sight"

Roger

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 01:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Room temp and no ice in sight.... barbarian. I'm a Scotch or Cognac man by preference but I certainly enjoy a good black & tan, chilled thank you very much.

As to black trousers I don't doubt it for early war as there were all kinds of uniforms in evidence.

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 01:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

I don't know if this will really help you w/ understanding how the gear was worn in the field.  I'm packing an M1841 instead of a Springfield and portraying a member of the 4th MN VI.

Attachment: ShooterA.JPG (Downloaded 16 times)

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 01:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Johan, excellent photo, I'll add it to my growing folder of pics. Photo's of re-enactors to my mind are among the best sources of reference material for model figures. I love the setting too, this has given me a good idea for a project.

Roger

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 02:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Ok I do have a pic of me wearing full marching kit.  A couple of minor flubs in the pic though.  I'm WAY too clean in this pic, after having done route marches it becomes obvious how dirty a soldier on the march gets.  The other is the glasses, I'd forgotten to change to my period lenses which are considerably smaller than modern, only about the size of the eye.

I don't know if the pics will help you any or not.  I've got a couple of good pics of CS troops I'll post them for you.

Attachment: shane2005.jpg (Downloaded 16 times)

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 02:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thanks Johan, your use of the word flub made me smile, when I was in the Navy a flub was a fat lazy useless b******, yours is a different meaning I take it.
As far as photo reference for figure painting goes the dirtier the better. Any pics will be gratefully received.

Roger

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 02:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Johan, is there any insignia that sets your uniform aside as a member of 4th MN VI?

Roger

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 03:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

No, the boys of the 4th MN VI are what I would call the typical western Regt. Hard marching, hard fighting men. My impression is different than the standard Infantryman by the M1841 w/ sabre bayonet and the Hardee hat. As far as I can tell the 4th was never officially issued forage caps through the entire war (apparently the "acquired" some in early 62 but most men preferred the HArdee Hat)and kept their M1841's at least through the fall of 63 and there is evidence some had them through the Grand Review though that bit of evidence may be a simple clerical error.

They had a well earned reputation as good shooters and hard marchers, some of that due to their initial posting on the frontier facing the Lakota.
What fascinateds me about the 4th was the arms they were issued... a little of everything w/ the M1841's being the most up to date. Initially they were issued whatever was available in the armories and most of that was far from new. Initially five Companies were carrying flintlock conversions of the M1816/22, one company were issued M1817 rifles, another company carried "Bright Belgians" and the two lucky companies were carrying M1841's. That means .54, .58, .69 & .71 all in the same regiment; talk about a Quartermaster nightmare. By the time of Vicksburg at least 4 companies were carrying M1841's but D company was still hauling around their M1817 rifles. I suspect that after Vicksburg they traded away their really old stuff for those pretty Enfields so politely donated to the US by the CS surrender of Vicksburg.

A lot of little things about this Regiment and the men w/in interest me. To me they were the kind of men that made the AoT and the rest of those men under Sherman so good. IMO they were the kind of men that won the war.

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 03:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

This is one of my favorite photos of US Officers in the field.    THey were men from the Army of the Cumberland, IIRC Ohio men.

Attachment: Soldiers 3.JPG (Downloaded 17 times)

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 04:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

http://www.manifest-history.org/BGR-RRIII/index.htm

Has some outstanding photos of a high quality event and quality living historians.

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 04:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thanks for the info on 4th Mn and the link. The seeds of a plan are forming. I just have to find a suitable figure to represent a soldier of 4th MN

Roger

Current time is 05:59 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5797 seconds (36% database + 64% PHP). 27 queries executed.