Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > Confederate Flag removed from Civil War display at local high school

Confederate Flag removed from Civil War display at local high school - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 06:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
ole

Mana: 

This subject is rapidly becoming emotionally overwrought. The Confederate Battle Flag, St. Andrew's cross with stars, was carried into battle by ordinary guys who presumably fought for what they believed. For that reason, and for that reason alone, it ought to symbolize an American fighting man. That he was fighting for the right or wrong cause has little to do with it. On that point alone will I concede that the CBF represents honor.

It is not my fault nor my problem that it has come to mean something different. I am not a member of the "northern" media. It isn't "their" fault nor problem either. The flag was pre-empted by aome rather unsavory characters without so much as a peep from those who now whine about the interpretation given it.

If you want that flag to mean what it ought to mean, you'll have to peel back the layers of history during which it was defiled. Selma. Little Rock. Memphis. The flag has friends on this board. Unfortunately, very few outside of it.

ole

Last edited on Sat Oct 6th, 2007 06:36 am by ole

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 07:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Roger

Mana: 

I must've written half a dozen replies to this and erased them all.
There's maybe more to the story than the few short paragraphs in the newspaper. It would be interesting to know if the school actually spent some time "educating" the pupil on why the flag was being displayed. A good chance to explain it's origins and what it meant in a historical context and not just modern extremists has been lost.
In my opinion by provoking debate and possibly outrage the display did it's job. Removing it is surely an admission of the flag symbolising modern racial hatred and not it's historical context.

Roger

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 07:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Thank you, Roger. Us over here tend to fly off the handle whenever this or that bit of news comes across the wire. And then it becomes a story that some befogged nobody types  onto the screens where the pretty people read it and give us SCHOOL REJECTS CIVILWAR FLAG! We are gullible and really quite willing to buy this crap.

Fortunately, when we sober up, we do tend to get real..

ol2

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 08:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
Roger

Mana: 

I showed my 15 year old son the thread yesterday when he got home from school. He said he will be making a complaint against the school and make them take down the pictures of Hitler in his history classroom.

I hope he was joking:shock:

Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2007 07:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
sweetea

Mana: 

Who counted slaves or their color?  A slave was a slave was a slave.... They existed in the north as well as the south after the start of the War.  I presently live in a rural area a bit north of Gettysburg.  Slaves (of whatever color) certainly did exist here; this was (still is) farming country and labor was in short supply.

I believe slavery was out of this area before 1863 - probably.

My personal sources are Wills and Day(?) Books.

Does anyone know which was the predominant CS flag during July 1863?  Was it the Stainless Banner?  I'm not sure that the Bonnie Blue was around any more by then, and there were quite a few flags of various generals.

Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2007 07:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Sweetea-

Pennsylvania passed a gradual emancipation law in 1780. There are no slaves listed in the 1860 Census.

Slavery in Pennsylvania

The Stainless Banner became the national flag of the Confederacy on 01May63.

Flags of the Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2007 03:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Confederate flags were seldom seen after the war except at various veterans, SCV, UDC and TGIF gatherings. It stood for a limited number of ideas and the people using it knew it and said so.

Then in 1948, the federal Civil Rights Commission was established to bring sweeping change in national race relations, with the support of Harry Truman and the Democratic Party. Southern Democrats, upset with the party's support of the commission, deserted the Democratic Party to start their own political group, the Dixiecrats. The party was openly opposed to civil rights legislation. The Confederate flag and the song "Dixie" were adopted as official symbols of the party. Ever since the two have been linked with segregation and racism in the minds of most Americans.

I have not yet seen the letters of protest written by the UDC or SCV about the mis-use of these cherished symbols in such a cause.

History is a continuous sweep of events; it cannot be picked and chosen to satisfy one’s own agenda.

HankC

Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2007 10:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
booklover

Mana: 

You know guys, I had planned to write another post arguing my point, but after a while a body just gets tired of beating his head against the wall. Give the rebel yell to your heart's content gentlemen.

Best
Rob

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

You have chosen to ignore Cookie12NJCoD. click Here to view this post

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 01:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
39th Miss. Walker

Mana: 

ROB, just a FYI but there are re-enactors of all of the wars fought on American soil. Rev War, 1812, CW.

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 02:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Javal,

First, my apologies for misinterpreting what you said.....After consideration and after reading your post with a more objective train of thought, I see you were'nt inviting me to leave, to the contrary, you were’nt. I also appreciate your saying I'd be missed....I am humbled and flattered.

Booklover,

Thanks! I appreciate your words regarding CW reenactments/reenactors.

Just a side note, there are WWII reenactors….oddly, I’ve seen them at CW reenacments recruiting, albeit, their type of reenacting is’nt as extensive as CW.

Your question regarding if the South had won, would slavery have been abandoned?….In my opinion, the Industrial revolution would have killed slavery, however, no one during the CW could have foreseen the Industrial revolution, so, I think, it would have continued until then, and then died out. After all, it’s cheaper still to operate a machine than to feed, cloth and house a workforce.

I also agree with you: the flag should be shown to students for what it stood for, NOT what it has come to stand for (in the eyes of those who’ve twisted it, as well as those who were hurt by it). It’s a painful part of history, but one that can’t be forgotten and one that shouldn’t be hidden. Hopefully, we’ve learned, as a nation, from our mistakes, and will continue to educate.

As to people having a difference of opinion and thinking differently than I do, I welcome it. I’d hate to be so close minded so as to blind myself to possibilities other than my own. I hope I NEVER “know” so much about history so as to tell everyone else that they’re wrong. I’ve been to other CW chatgroups, on-line memberships and e-groups that I’ve left because there’s always some that “know” more than any one else and they become very condescending. I can’t learn anything in that kind of environment. I’ve been coming to this website since the 1990’s WAY before the chat section, etc….I loved it then, and I love it today because it is informative and no one is at all condescending. My hat is off to all commentors who have always been cordial.

Perhaps you, in reality, didn’t insult me as much as I mis-interpreted your meaning and, in that, ended up insulting myself.

Anyway, in my opinion, I think I’ve said more than enough on the subject, so I’ll just kick back and watch.

To the administrators/moderators, Thanks for a great site that I’ve enjoyed for close to 10 years. To all member/commentors, thanks for teaching me and others! Thanks also for keeping differing points of view alive. With the exception of my tirade last week, everyone has ALWAYS been polite, posting some very well thought and well written posts on a variety of subjects.

Albert Sailhorst

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
booklover

Mana: 

Bama, you are right that I need to explain my last post, but first let me say to Albert, I appreciate your comments and agree that we all can learn from each other. Most of the time, in this type of discussion, I either end up agreeing to disagree with someone and we remain friends or we never speak to each other again. I've lost some good friends that way. From your post I think we can agree to disagree.

Bama, there were a number of things that set me off, but only one was related to this board. I might have misread HankC's comments, but from what I gathered it seemed he was saying that the Confederate symbols were innocent and meaningless until they were taken over by Strom Thurmond and the Dixiecrats. That made me think of the old segregationist argument that Jim Crow was too entrenched in the Southern lifestyle to ever be ended, a notion shattered by C. Vann Woodward's "Strange Career of Jim Crow". I let my emotions get the better of me because I couldn't understand how anyone can think a symbol perpetuating anything as horrid as slavery could ever be considered innocent under any circumstance.

But what really made me angry was a friend who directed me to this link.

http://csagov.org/

In my mind, I connected that with this discussion and lost my cool. Guys, I'm sorry, but I cannot in good conscience suspend my feelings of 1)what the war was truly fought over and 2)that anyone could honestly believe it would be better to go back to it, with or without slavery. I don't know if anyone on this board agrees with what the website I mention above stands for, but I hope to God not.

Best
Rob

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 11:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Well, I do think we should maybe let this thread die a peaceful death. Unless someone has something specific to the particular case posted by the original poster, I fear further debate about whether the flag represents racism or not will only inflame obviously deep-held passions on both sides, with neither side having a chance to change the mind of the other. This is too good a group to see it blow up over this.

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 12:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Amen....let it die....

I'm just glad things here were resolved amicably.

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 10:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
booklover

Mana: 

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Best
Rob

Posted: Sun Oct 14th, 2007 06:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
1stSgt P.

Mana: 

I am glad that this is resolved.  I just recently found this forum.  I don't want it to go away,or make this into a us/them because I would have taken the them side.

Last edited on Sun Oct 14th, 2007 09:38 pm by 1stSgt P.

Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2007 09:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
59th Post
ole

Mana: 

Suspect that we're going to get along quite well 1st. Although your uniform isn't the right color.

ole

Posted: Sat Oct 20th, 2007 01:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
60th Post
1stSgt P.

Mana: 

ole wrote: Suspect that we're going to get along quite well 1st. Although your uniform isn't the right color.

ole

Ole;

If you don't like that color, I also have butternut:cool:.  I do have to put on the blue suit every once in a while for an event#%$#. We all do what we have to do))...  Of course I have no pictures of that.  I do in fact have  a very good Federal impression. I do a Western Federal.

Current time is 10:30 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > Confederate Flag removed from Civil War display at local high school

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4437 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 29 queries executed.