Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

1st Lieutenant - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 08:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

It was a boxed set that came w/ the figures one table, the bucket of severed limbs, the water bucket, tools and flag n staff. I created the diorama.

The photo has been photoshop doctored by someone adding
more terrain on the top of the photo and I think the Dr also photoshopped it into the Antietem battlefield in another picture.

The ground was a bit of cork board painted w/ a very heavy coat of house paint which acted as my glue then it was liberally sprinkled w/ model RR grass and cat litter (unused!).

Relatively simple project actually, the canvas on the sun break was inkwashed (painted w/ a heavily watered down black ink) then dry brushed w/ a couple different shades of acrylic to replicate dirt.

The table & structure was made using a small plane & an exacto knife. Would you believe the poncho started out as a kleenex? Folded to the shape I wanted, soaked in an inkwash then sprayed w/ an acrylic lacquer. Then I just applied washes & drybrushes until I had a color approximating my own gum blanket. the two tables started out as wooden matches, the coloring came from smoke and an inkwash.

What the photo doesn't show is the water pooled ontop of the canvas... used a model railroad epoxy and soaked it through the canvas which gave it the heavily weathered look.

I think the hardest time I had was w/ that cursed stretcher... couldn't get it to come out right. I made 3-4 attempts at the right color combo and gave up on it had even decided to drop the stretcher altogether when i looked at my scrap pile and found the perfect bit of fabric... I have no idea how the colors came about because my daughter had knocked over a couple of my wash bottles and that was what I had used to clean it up. I simply matched the blood color on the mini and applied some to the stretcher.

There are a variety of ways to replicate trees, the easiest being to raid your neighbors hedge when he isn't looking, dry out your twigs then dry brush w/ a couple different colors apply leaves in the form of a mini leaf looking spice you thief from the wifes spice cabinet and then spray w/ a lacquer to preserve.

Posted: Sun Jan 20th, 2008 07:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Roger

Mana: 

I missed the little discussion you had about my figure because I was away and I didn't notice it when I was catching up on posts when I came home:?

Anyway thank you for the comments, it's good that it provoked some thought and made interesting reading.

Johan, that's a very good little dio and someone else who snoops around hedges etc. looking for twigs. There's a few of us about. Used and dried tea leaves is another good material to use.

Roger

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2008 12:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I just noticed that my thanks and compliments to Johann never posted! 

My apologies, Johann; and as I asked you to post in the first place, that must have seemed awfully rude of me. 

I so envy You and Roger, having such talent and originality.  I believe, Johann, that you mentioned you no longer indulge in your hobby?  -  If so, what a shame!

Joanie

Current time is 09:23 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1434 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 25 queries executed.