Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What Is a Civil War Round Table? - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 14th, 2007 11:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I'm completely naive on this subject, but have discovered that a Civil War Round Table meets only a couple of miles from me.

What does a CWRT do? What sorts of folks belong? Geniuses, intellectuals, published Civil War historians, college history professors with PHDs or just ordinary Joes (Janes) like myself with an interest in the Civil War?

Does it cost a lot of money and require a lot of time? Can anyone who is interested join or must one be invited?

Just curious. Maybe it is something I would enjoy but I am hesitant to call and ask the person who advertises this particular CWRT in a popular Civil War magazine.

Last edited on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 11:11 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 12:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

CF,

The Civil War Roundtable that I belong to is small, with about 20 active members. We usually meet the third Thursday of each month in the back room of a local steak restaurant, although we don't meet in December because of the holidays nor in June, July and August because of vacations. We usually show up around 6 p.m. for a meal, then on to the topic of discussion. Meetings are usually over by 9 p.m.

Most of our members are male, 40ish to 60ish, and our group includes a couple of lawyers, a few small business owners, two ministers, a police officer and a retired sports editor. The group is always open to women, but few choose to participate. Maybe there's too much testosterone, I don't know. Usually it's boys' night out. As far as I know, we have no geniuses but we do have a lot of knowledgeable guys with their own areas of interest and expertise.

I'm the only damn Yankee in the group, a role I have come to relish. I've been a member for about 20 years.

Topics vary. Sometimes we invite guest speakers (like authors or rangers), and sometimes a round table member will conduct his own discussion, complete with audio-visual aids. A few years ago I conducted a discussion on Sickles (sound familiar?) and when Bob Zeller first published his book on 3-D civil war photography I was able to get him to present a 3-D slide show for our group. Several women showed up for that one.

We pay no dues. Anyone is welcome as long as they pay for their own meals. If we have a guest speaker, we'll ante up and pay for his meal. A larger roundtable may require dues.

Our group is small and rather informal, but one of our members was instrumental in getting some Civil War Trail signs located in our county.

The past few years we've taken three-day field trips, usually one in the fall and one in the spring, to places such as Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Antietam, Newport News (to the Mariners' Museum to see the Monitor), Richmond, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Appomattox. These places are all anywhere from 4-to-7 hours from our town.

We have a lot of fun at our roundtable. Probably can't hurt to call up the one you're interested in and find out what they're all about.

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 12:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

PvtClewell, that was very interesting. Many thanks foir your response. It wasn't what I imagined at all! I guess I suspected a very stodgy group of intellectual elite and Civil War research geeks, for want of a better description, or hard core re-enactors or something like that. Something very intimidating, I feared.

I was surprised that women seldom come to your group. Could it be that they aren't interested in the military aspect of the Civil War so much as the humanitarian aspects of the war--hardship on women, children and families, how civilians survived, typical food and clothing of the time--I'm just guessing. I have no idea.

Your group sounds like fun. I live way too far away, however.:D Maybe I will get up my courage and call the guy who advertises in North and South Magazine. The worst that could happen is that I'll decide it isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 01:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

I don't know why women don't attend our meetings. Well, maybe I do. We're mostly strategy and tactics guys who like to walk all over battlefields and talk about good generals and bad generals, or maybe our great-great grandfathers who fought. Fat chance trying to get us to talk about civilian hardships, food or clothing. If we did, we'd hardly get the men to show up. I also suspect the wives and significant others of our members are just glad to get us out of their hair for a couple hours each month.

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 02:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Strategy and tactics do interest me, strangely enough. Talking about what generals were good and bad and why is quite compelling to me. That is what I really enjoy reading about. 

I do suspect the wives are glad to have the hubbies out of the house for a little bit. Then they can have control of the remote control. No chasnging channels every two minutes without even asking. :D

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 03:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Uh-oh. Do you know me?

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 03:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan I am program chair for our Civil War Round Table here in Huntington Beach Ca.  Up til a few years ago our president was a woman and she could out do any man on any battlefield as to who what when and where .  She has forgotten more about some battles than others have ever known.   Our treasurer and program chair are also women.   We have two males as president but they don't do much at all. 

We pay 20 dollars a year for dues.  We meet in a local cafe in the back room once a month.  I set up speakers on various subjects.  Sometimes they are battle talks sometimes they are other subjects.  Tuesday night it will be Bohemian Brigade,  Next month is General Pickett. 

I also put out a small newsletter once a month about the speaker and related infromation. 

We have a raffle every other month of donated books which we use to support preservation . 

Our group is made up of men and women , all walks of life. 

We invite speakers every month , We don't have a budget to pay them but we buy them dinner.   Go to your local it should be funl

Susan

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 04:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
booklover

Mana: 

I once spoke before a Civil War Roundtable in Evansville, Ind., on Conger and it was about 60 percent men and 40 percent women. It was a pretty good cross-section of the local society, but what surprised me was the age range of those involved. Most, if not all, were 50 or older. There was no one in their 20s or 30s who attended. I've never joined one, because my work schedule doesn't allow for it.

Best
Rob

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 06:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Uhh I though King Arthur had something to do w/ it.

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 06:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Johan, Only the oldest formed round tables have anything to do with King Arthur , The newer ones don't even have a round table can you believe that  and they have their nerve to call themselves Round Tables.  Some might order food from Round Table pizza though. 

Susan

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 06:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Rob, our round table in Orange County Ca. has all ages.  There are a couple of famlies that are reenactors and they attend the meeting together.  Most of our members are in the age range you mentioned. I guess we are the ones that have the time to attend the meetings. Sometimes there are more women at the meetings sometimes more men.  Depends on the subject although  I was really surprised at he number of men who turned out for Mary Todd Lincoln, also we had abig turn out of women for the Antietam symposium , women who came with maps in hand to follow along . 

Our oldest member I beleive is the Great grandson of General Ord.  He only attends if it is a battle presentation .  He lectures me on a regular basis because I have had a speaker on Jesse James  twice, same speaker , did two part presentation , Jesse during the War and Jesse and the Great Northfield Bank Robber which he tied in nicely to the Civil War .  Those were two of our largest attended meetings.  The room was packed.  It helps that that speaker can read a phone book and we all would sit and listen.  He is going to do the other side of the Missouri Civil War this spring.  Can't wait. 

I have speakers coming up on The Pope's relations to Civil War,  General Pickett, Fort Pillows,  Civil War Soldiers in the Spanish American War , and Beauvour by historian for California Daughters of the Confederacy .   Try to get interesting and different types of speakers. 

Susan

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 08:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: Johan, Only the oldest formed round tables have anything to do with King Arthur , The newer ones don't even have a round table can you believe that  and they have their nerve to call themselves Round Tables.  Some might order food from Round Table pizza though. 

Susan

Is there at least a sword?  How about a chalice or holy saki cup?

I'm in a goofy mood; sorry.

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 02:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

At our round table there are only swords when the speaker brings one.  Chalice or holy saki cup?/  would a glass of diet coke or cup or coffee work for you?  It is a coffee shop after all.  Oh they dod serve beer so how about a bottle of beer .  That is almost a holy saki cup. 

Take care you made me laugh.

Susan

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 02:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

All the good humored levity about Round Tables has convinced me to call the local one and find out what I can. I will ask if Sir Gallahad ever shows up.:D

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 08:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan, all joking aside I found a group of fun, interesting people that share my interest.  Some of them have become personal friends that I do other things with besides Civil War as we have discovered other interest that are the same. 

If you find Sir Galahad tell him to come out to Southern California please.

Susan

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 08:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

I'm afraid that you ladies are bound to be disappointed. I don't think that anyone has seen Sir Galahad since some time around the 7th Century. It could be that he is lost in the Enchanted Forest, and hes too stubborn to ask for directions.  :?

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 08:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I bet you are right Defender .  It would be just like a man not to ask directions and wander around for centuries.  Oh well .  

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 07:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
ole

Mana: 

Fan:

It would appear that your local CWRT is what the members make of it. Basically, it's a club of people who share an interest in the ACW. Ours meets in a bathouse and collects annual dues to pay for the newletter and donuts.

If the CWRT that advertised isn't to your liking and you can't move them, there will be another close by that has no phone number.

ole

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 03:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Susan-

I heard that the roundest knight at King Arthur's Round Table was called: "Sir Cumference."  ;)

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 03:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
ole

Mana: 

Defender, I would very much appreciate that you would go away for a few days for that one.

#%$#

However, I did find it clever, original and very amusing.)(90

But don't do it again! This is your final warning!

ole

Current time is 04:15 amPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4446 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.