Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What Is a Civil War Round Table? - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 03:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
ole

Mana: 

Fan: Your local CWRT is no different than your bridge, cribbage, swapping group, bowling team, or anyone else you hang around with because you have an interest in common with them. It would be nice, but not likely, that you will like all equally.

Feed the hubby, pat him on the head and tell him you'll be back about 10. Ain't much more fun than getting together with people who like to talk about things you like to talk about. You won't get to meet ACW followers at church, the bowling alley or the race track. You do need to go find them.

Dear One allows me my own room and almost unlimited time online (with occasional exceptions). It's a rewarding hobby!

ole

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 04:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Ole-

I find your reply confusing. You chastise me severely first, then applaud me right after that.

I am hard pressed to decide which of your two personalities carries the greater weight.

This sends me scurrying for my dictionary. Ah, yes, here it is:

Bipolar- (adj)- 3. Characterized by opposite extremes.

I have to wonder if there are additional sides of Ole that I'm still not aware of. It could be that you are indeed a multi-faceted individual.  :D

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 05:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Defender:

I'm more into keeping the discussion going than in the content. Don't pay me no nevermind. If it gets personal, you will know it. Meanwhile, I'm just being playful.

ole

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 07:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Ole-

I think we're on the same page.  ;)

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 12:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I just want to ask Ole what a swapping group is.:?

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 01:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
ole

Mana: 

People who go to swap meets together, Fan.
:shock:
ole

Last edited on Tue Dec 18th, 2007 01:53 am by ole

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 02:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan , you know after you attend a round table meeting we will expect a full report to be filed.

Susan:D

Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2008 09:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Fan,

Just curious. Have you checked out the roundtable yet? Attended a meeting? Enjoyed it?

Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2008 11:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

PvtClewell wrote: Fan,

Just curious. Have you checked out the roundtable yet? Attended a meeting? Enjoyed it?

Looks like it isn't going to happen in January because of many prior obligations, but I will definitely report on what I do discover when I finally can catch a break.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 01:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

Well, I've just discovered this thread, but found it very interesting. We formed a round table in our community several years ago and when my husband and I expressed our interst we were told that he could join but I couldn't as it would be a male-only organization. I was told that there was a round table in downtown Cleveland if I wanted to go there. As we are both avid Civil War buffs, I knew at least as much as most of the men in that room and felt very compromised. Until now I thought that most round tables were of the same mind set. Thank you all so much for setting me straight, especially you, Susan. I feel much better about the organization having read all your comments.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 02:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Lincoln Fan
About a third of the people attending our meetings are women.  Some come by themselves.  Most come with their husbands.  I can't imagine a CWRT not allowing women.  Seems like a pretty dumb idea to me.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 02:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i guess the men dont think we know as much about the war as they do. well i have news for them, we DO know as much if not more than they do about it. it really depends on how interested in the war you are and how much time you are able to put in to it.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 04:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

In my roundtable, The Greater Toledo Civil War Roundtable, our president (moi), vice president and secretary are women, as is one of our three trustees. More than a third of our members are women who attend regularly.

I could makes some jokes about women being needed to get things done, but I won't. ;)

But seriously, our group, which has been active for going on 14 years, has always had a healthy blend of men and women, and like the other poster, cannot imagine a roundtable that does not allow women!

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 04:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I can't imagine a round table banning women.  I think I would go with my husband (of course I don't have one) and just take part anyway.  Let them know I know something about the war. 

As I have said before the two presidents of our round table don't really do anything .  I put out the Newsletter and book the programs.  Another woman registers the new members and a third is the treasuer and preservation  officer.  Many of our members are also women.  The founder of the group is a woman. 

Good luck maybe you can break the bann.

Susan

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 02:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

The other point I would like to make is that there are no "sides" on a Round Table. 

The only qualifications should be a love of history, an interest in the Civil War and a desire to learn.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 02:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Kind of sounds to me as if the "all male" round table has a hidden agenda...perhaps one that has little to do with the Civil War.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 02:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

"Kind of sounds to me as if the "all male" round table has a hidden agenda...perhaps one that has little to do with the Civil War."

Hmm...could be. I have to be honest and say that when I was first invited to attend one of our local roundtable's meetings (many long years ago), I flat out told the fellow doing the inviting that if it was just a bunch of guys sitting around the table, drinking beer and remembering "the good old days", I wanted nothing to do with it. Thankfully, I was completely wrong.

We've always had a good mix of males and females -- husbands & wives; mothers & daughters; significant others and so forth.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 03:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Maybe that all male round table is counting down to Daytona and don't want any women to know their true passion.:D

By the way Hubby just subscribed to the Speed Channel so he could watch those two 150-mile races Thursday. I'm already sick and tired of the Speed Channel and have retreated to our little office. for peace and quiet.:D

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 12:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

It's nice to know the CWRT in our community is the exception to the rule. Everything turned out for the best, however, as we became affiliated with a group from Lawnfield, President Garfield's home. We do a lot of traveling with them. The most memorable was to the dedication of the Middle Creek Battlefield in Prestonsburg, KY. General Garfield was the commanding officer in this battle and we got to travel with Jim Garfield, the president's great-grandson. I have a wonderful picture of him shaking hands with the great-grandson of Humphrey Marshall, the Confederate commander. Jim became a good friend of ours. We have probably participated in more Civil War discussions and activities than we would have with any round table. I guess those guys didn't want any women traveling with them. Geez, even the army had camp followers.

Current time is 11:55 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2139 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 27 queries executed.