Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

First Battlefield Visit - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 05:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
81st Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Bama

Very interesting. 

When I was about 12 or 13 my Dad took me to a baseball game at Wrigley Field.  We sat in about the 6th row by the first baseline.  The manager got in an argument with the umpire.  It was too far away to hear but my Dad could read the managers lips and got the biggest kick out what the manager was saying.  Now it turns out that maybe all that manager was saying was: "vacuum."

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 10:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
83rd Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

Hi Ole. While I agree that Gettysburg has been over-commercialized, there are still plenty of locations to get away from that and get the "feel" of the field. The areas around the Wheat Field, Rose Woods, Stony Hill are examples.
And the town itself has many landmarks and CW-era buildings worth seeing. Give G-burg a chance. And, if you have time, drop in at Dale Gallon's place.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 12:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
84th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

I think it's great so many of you take your kids with you on trips. Mine were 16 and 21 when I became interested in the Civil War. When I picked up my photos from my first trip to a battlefield, I couldn't wait to show them to my family. My son looked quickly through them and handed them to his sister saying, "Here, look. Woods, trees, grass." Their eyes continue to glaze over when I mention the Civil War.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 01:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
85th Post
ole

Mana: 

Never did take the kids to a battlefield, Lincoln Fan. Probably would have done no good. Any good story from the old days sets their eyes rolling. And to think that one of them will get my library!

Maybe there's some hope for the granddaughters, if I could drag them away from their 1Pods long enough to get a word or two out of them.

ole

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 08:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
86th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

Ole, I would suggest donating your library to some ganization. That's what we're thinking of doing with ours. The kids and grandkids would never look at the books. Even donations to the library are looked at and are almost always then forwarded to the library book sales. We found that out when we first tried to donate. If all else fails, find a younger person who knows good reading when he sees it.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 09:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
87th Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

My first battlefield visit was Gettysburg when I was 8. Before then, all I knew of the town was the Wal-Mart. I still have a picture of my sister and I on a boulder at Big Round Top. I came to school the next day and absorbed everything I could from the books in the library. I've been addicted ever since. Ole, it's a shame that many of my generation take such a disinterest in history. Hopefully when I have kids I'll be able to get them into it.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 10:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
88th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

When my kids were little I took them to quite a few battlefields.  Their favorite was probably Pea Ridge.  It is relatively small and it is easy to visualize exactly what happened.

After a while they got tired of going and I got tired of dragging them along.  So I went into the "go alone" phase of battlefield visiting which I am still in.

But I do have a story that shows that sometimes it sinks in.  A few years ago my in-laws took our family and my wife's sister's family to Europe to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.  We did the tour of northern France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg.  On the plane home I asked my children what was the best part thinking it would be some grand castle, museum, city or something like that.  You know what their answer was?  "Going to see the battlefield at Waterloo!"

Posted: Fri Feb 22nd, 2008 06:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
89th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Due to my location I have yet to see any of the Battlefields out east save one . Manassas was on a school trip to Washington DC and did get to spend about 2 hours there but was only in the 8th grade. (man that was a long time ago).

My favorite battlefeild would have to be Wilsons Creek, I love the riding trails they have there.  Also took my grandmother and mother there in the 92 spent a wonderful day looking around since I have read alot about the battle was thier Personal tour guide was a great time .

Close second would be Lexington of course Really like the Anderson House have done many events there .

Posted: Sun Feb 24th, 2008 09:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
90th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Want to visit Gettysburg today? 

Go to Google Maps and type in Gettysburg National Military Park - satelite view.

Enjoy!

Posted: Sun Feb 24th, 2008 08:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
91st Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

Google Maps just isn't the same as actually being there.

Posted: Sun Feb 24th, 2008 11:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
92nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Nothing is the same as actually being there . 

susan

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2008 01:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
93rd Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Agreed.  Neither is looking at my pictures from my battlefield visits.  But looking at the Battlefields on Google maps is fun - especially when Gettysburg is 1,000 miles away.

Posted: Fri Feb 29th, 2008 02:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
94th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

You can read about battles to KNOW what happened, you can look at pictures of battlefields to SEE what happened, but you really have to walk the battlefields to FEEL what happened. That's been my experience.

Posted: Mon Mar 3rd, 2008 10:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
95th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Absolutely. The few days I spent tramping about various battlefieds last summer were probably a better education about the war than the all the chapters I'd read so far.

(Oh,  and I decided to start with 1st Manassas . I'll get round to doing the second when I next cross the pond)

Current time is 02:50 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4097 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.