Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Except here and there a stray picket - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 12th, 2008 03:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Johan my brother and I had a large collection of Classic Comics.  Several of them led to my interest in Shakespeare .  The Macbeth with the dagger floating in front of him on the cover grabbed my interest.  I read that one many times. 

In high school I took a test on Silas Marner and got an Aplus.  I didn't brother to read the book.  I had read the Classic comic. 

Sad to say my mom took all the comic books to the Child Care center where she worked after my brother and I were in junior high .  The whole collection I am sure would be worth a fortune now.  We had many Classics plus many DC comics.

Susan

Posted: Wed Mar 12th, 2008 04:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

susan would depend on what you had and the year published and condition, that is my other passion comic book collecting

Posted: Wed Mar 12th, 2008 08:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Younglobo is a lost cause now as they are all gone . All our comic books.  They were from the 50's and early 60's  All kinds of comics .  We were addicted to them.  Gone with my baseball cards I gave to a kid in the neighborhood. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 01:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

hind sight stinks huh , my mother threw out a large sum in Star Wars toys too But who knew.

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 02:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

All of my old Star Wars, star trek, batman toys & books went to a good cause, my sisters health.

I've still got those Classic Comics, I don't have any idea if they're worth anything or not. Better than cliff notes anyway.

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 01:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
David White

Mana: 

Susan:

That MacBeth CI was the very first one I ever bought, must have purchased 50+ after that.  The cover is what grabbed me too.  My friends thought I was nuts paying 15 cents for those versus 12 cents for DC comics.

"Double, double, toil and trouble fire burn and cauldron bubble,  Heh, Heh, Heh!"

"Lead on MacDuff and damned be he who cries holds to."

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 09:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Don

Mana: 

j harold 587 wrote: When my wife and I visited Pamplin Military Park at Pertersburg (I highly recommend this museuem/ educational experience) as they have the largest privately owned  area of the original Petersburg seige earthworks they were excavating a picket post that was about 250 yards away from the actual earthworks. I thought at the time this was really far out considering the strength of the fortification. However considering that the Union troops staged closer than that for the Crater it may not have been overly far foreward. By the way I think Susan has commented on the excellent book store they have, but I will give it another plug.  I still have a book from that spree I ave not read yet. Don't tell my wife. :? She may cut off my book money.
J harold, are you saying that you're SUPPOSED to read the books that you have before you buy more?  What an odd concept.  Why on earth would I want to do that? :cool: 

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 09:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Don

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: J. Harold I collect preprimers and primers as I taught first grade for years and years.  I love old school books but only the ones I used as a child or first grade text.  I have a pretty complete set of Dick and Jane.  I was talking about that to some friends up in Oregon one summer.  The friend of my friend went to a yard sale the next day and came home with a small orange volume.  He handed it to me saying "I know you collect childeren's books."  

I let out a warwhoop you could have heard back east .  I had in my hand David Farragut , Boy Sailor  from a series called Childhood Biographys of Famous Americans.  A series I had loved as a child .  I read them all . I had been trying for years to find one  or anyone else that remembered them as I did. 

Now here by chance was not only one of the series but a Civil War one.  I was so greatful for that fellow that misunderstood what it was exactly that I collected. 

Susan

Susan,

There's a local bookstore that has several of the Childhood Biography series.  Let me know if you're interested in them and I'll see what I can set up.

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 11:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Don thanks sooooo much.  Right now I am on a tight budget that is no books for a few months til bills are paid .  Read the ones I have . 

To Johan and others I was working at the Drum today going though donated magazines to see if there were Civil War related articles.  There it was  American Heritage Magazine May/June 1993  has an article on Classics Illustrated Comic books. It even has pictures of some of the covers . 

Really cool.

Susan

Posted: Fri Mar 14th, 2008 02:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Don

Mana: 

Susan,

I'll keep an eye out next time I'm in there (maybe this weekend, have been trying to track down Dr Seuss books for the kiddo) and jot down what titles I see. I loved tht series as well.

Posted: Fri Mar 14th, 2008 01:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

My wife is very diciplined. She will not purchase a new book untill she has finished whatever she is currently reading. She doesn't know I have had Chamberlain's Into the Hands of Providence  for almost two years on the unread pile. 

Posted: Sat Mar 15th, 2008 11:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
Don

Mana: 

Susan,

Very few bios, but they did have copies of Mackinley Kantor's "Gettysburg" and "Lee and Grant at Appomattox" from the old clothbound series by Landmark.

Posted: Sun Mar 16th, 2008 04:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Don what Doctor Seuss are you looking for ?  I have them all .  I taught a unit in first grade on the dear old Doctor and celebrated his birthday . 

Susan

Posted: Sun Mar 16th, 2008 12:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

J harold 587 said
"I have had Chamberlain's Into the Hands of Providence for almost two years on the unread pile."

J harold
If this is Alice Rains Trulocks' "In the Hands of Providence" I would suggest you take it from that pile and read, it is, INHO, a terrific book.

Posted: Wed Mar 19th, 2008 11:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
Don

Mana: 

Susan,

Nearly all of them. Most of mine didn't survive my little sister, nor did most of my wife's survive her brother. Fortunately we have some time to track them down, as the little fellow's only 9 months old. 8^)

And looking is fun. It's an excuse to visit used book stores, and if one happens to drift from the children's section to the history section after looking for Dr Seuss....

I'm sure my wife has already figured this out, but she's been nice enough thus far to call me on it, sainted woman that she is.

Current time is 12:56 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2000 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 27 queries executed.