Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Florida Civil war sites - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 12:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Hey all  I am planing a trip this winter to see my grandmother in Fort Myers FL. I know there are  a couple civil sites in Tampa area . Has anyone on this site been to them are they worth seeing ? just wanting a little infor on National battlefields in FL.

Also Atlanta is about a good one day drive what does it have to offer ??

Thanks  In advance

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 01:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

http://americancivilwar.com/statepic/florida.html
http://www.civilwarflorida.com/site/news/
http://www.ajc.com/travel/content/travel/visitorguide/pages/insidecivilwar.html

these should help.
Have a nice trip!

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 01:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

Hi there, younglobo...

Ft. Myers to Atlanta is more than a day's drive; from Tampa it's about an 8 to 9 hour trip. Inside Atlanta is little, but the Cyclorama is supposed to be rather impressive. Northwest of Atlanta are Kennesaw Mountain and Pickett's Mill parks, and then there are New Hope Church, Pine Mountain [where Bishop General Polk bought the farm], and Dallas all with an assortment of plaques. Jonesboro, Gainesville [NE of Atlanta, where Longstreet spent his final years], and a few other smaller towns have some sort of Civil War tie-in.

On your way to Atlanta, depending on your route, you may want to take in Andersonville, GA near Americus, and the National Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus GA [http://www.portcolumbus.org].

Florida sites are few and far between. In the Tampa area, there used to be Ft. Brooke, but only 2 cannon are left and they're not in their original position. There is a spring-time reenactment at a place called Ballast Point. In Februry there's a reenactment called The Brooksville Raid, but there's nothing on display at the site as it's on a Boy Scout reservation. I think there are only a few plaques around town, like at Lowry Park Zoo where, just recently, remnants were found in the Hillsborough River there of James McKay's blockade runner "Kate Dale" [unless it proves to be "Scottish Chief"]. There are plaques around town that mention Robert E. Lee doing some engineering work here and one that mentions Stonewall Jackson donating money to a church construction fund.

Olustee, east of Lake City near I-75/I-10 intersection, is the small but monumented battlefield. St. Marks, on the Gulf coast south of Tallahassee, as well as Natural Bridge directly north and between St. Marks and Tallahassee, has a postage-stamp-sized field. I remember reading of a Civil War museum in Jacksonville, but have never been there; don't know if it's still in existence.

A place called Horse Landing, near Palatka on the St. John's River, has a reenactment every year. Little known action wherein a USS steamer was captured by some of the Florida Cow Cavalry.

Gamble Mansion in Bradenton on the Braden River, west of I-75, is a nice place to visit. Judah Benjamin stayed a short while there on his way out of the country in 1865.

Art in Tampa

Last edited on Tue Aug 12th, 2008 01:41 am by ArtorBart

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 02:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Most years in February there is a reenactment at the Olustee Battle Field off 1-10 and east of 1-75. The timing may not coincide well with your schedule.

You can drive from Atlanta to Fort Myers in one day, but the drive will not allow you much time for side trips such as to see Andersonville or Olustee.  Pensacola  has some interesting Civil War history such as at Fort Pickens on Santa Rosa Island, but that is far out of your way.

I don't know how much time you will have to travel, but Key West has interesting Civil War history, especially Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. Every February there are Civil War reenactments there too. There is also Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas where Dr Mudd was imprisoned, but that is a day trip in itself.

Jupiter Inlet just north of West Palm Beach has the historic Jupiter light house which was designed by George Gordon Meade in 1860. Again, though, you will need time to drive to the east coast of Florida.

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 02:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Just did the Civil War in Florida in June.  First stop was the Castillo in St. Augustine.  I picked up a book there called the Civil War in Florida which had the history and directions how to get to various sites .  Well worth the money. 

All the places mentioned already are good plus Yulee Sugar Mill Ruins Historic State Park .  This is all that is left of the David Yulee  plantation  that was burned by Union.  Yulee served in the First Confederate Congress. 

Cedar Keys has signage and one building left that was Union headquarters. 

Natural Bridge Battlefield has monuments .  The actual battlefield is privately owned and is for sale if you have 7 million you want to spend.

Nearby is San Marcos de Apalache Historic State Park.  Both Union and Confederate occupied the site .  The ranger in the headquarters is a great guy to talk to .  He will explain all that went on there .  Also interesting film on the history of the site.  As many things in Florida it goes back to the Spanish.

Closer than Atlanta is Mobile Bay and Fort Morgan a third system coastal defense fort .  Nearby is also Blakely State Park Battlefield .  Battle fought here the same day Lee surrendered .  There are nine perserved redoubts in the park. 

If you do head to Atlanta don't miss Andersonville .  Well worth the stop.  Visit the national park and also go into the small town where the train station was that brought the troops.  Check out the monument in the middle of the town.  It is to Henry Wirtz. 

The plantation mentioned is well worth the visit .  Just don't go on Tuesday.  They are closed.   How do I know.  Guess which day we went?  We stared in the windows of the house .  I also looked in the door of the visitors center and of course saw a book displayed I would have loved to have.  No time to get back there of course. 

Have a great trip.

Susan

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 04:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ed this get together sounds like it has the makings of another nonstop talk fest .  Can't wait til I get on that train Monday. 

Susan

Current time is 09:10 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1928 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.