Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Opening a can of Worms - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Nov 3rd, 2011 01:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

I understand that the question i'm about to ask will be very controversial and really doesnt even pertain to The american Civil war but if anyone can give insight into this question it would have to be the men and women that study the essence of Civil War.

With everything going on in our nation, wall street riots, recession and overall corruption, do any of ya'll see another Civil war or more accurately another revolution on the horizon? I love my country my brother served 2 tours in Iraq and my father served 2 tours in Vietnam, but reading back on the reasons the Colony's revolted against England during the American revolution, seem like some of the same issues we have today. Lincoln said in his Gettysburg address " a nation of the people by the people and FOR the people", now it seems like its a nation for Government and Corporations. I'm not at all political, I cant even tell you if I'm a democrat or a republican but i know what's right and wrong and very little that the government is doing today seems right. Anyway based on the tensions in the nation right now what do you think? Is revolution on the horizon? Do you think that there should be? If so would it be a voiolent revolution or one of only protests and such? I'd really appeciate your opinion.

Last edited on Thu Nov 3rd, 2011 01:40 am by csamillerp

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 12:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Nope....no revolt.....Just a handfull of people that would rather camp out on Wall Street than to look for the jobs that they say aren't there.....The rest of America is content to complain and watch the news....

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

lol i dont think it's that simple but i dont want to make this a debate... just wanting peoples opinion on the subject. just for future reference though i'm not just talking about the wallstreet protest but i do see them as the sort of boston tea party type thing

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
MildMan
Banned

Mana: 

Differences are exasperated when one group says its my way or the highway, rather than seeking common ground. Democracy ain't pretty - but failing to act is even uglier.

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 02:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I would give the Wall Street protesters more credance if they had a more viable argument. Empoyment is at approximately 91%. I do not fault people for being industrious or smart enough to make more money than I make, and I do not think it fair to say, just because you have more money than I do, that you should give some (in the form of higher taxes) to me....I think they are protesting the wrong place....They should protest the government for making it easier and more beneficial for busineses to go over-seas......Shoot, I'd go over-seas, too, if the government wanted to unfairly tax me....I am a Career Counselor, and there ARE jobs for people that REALLY want, or need, to work.....Again, employment is at about 91%.
Thanks for your indulgence.

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 02:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I'll let this thread run for now as a current event, but if modern politics enter into it, the thread will be closed.

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 05:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Cogswell Pepperbox
Did I Fire 6 Shots or Only 5 ?

Mana: 

I'm not sure I understand that, Joe ... are you saying to not start laying blame, as in "It's all {fill in the blank}'s fault" ?

I don't believe any type of "people's revolution" can ever take place within the Federal Union - that government has already proven time & time again it will not hesitate to shoot dissenters in the streets ...

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 05:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Personally, I don't think it's a topic that can go anywhere before someone starts blaming the whole thing on Republicans or the whole thing on Democrats. And I'm not willing to go there on this board anymore. We have too many good Civil War topics going, and we are a Civil War board.

I want people to be able to talk about non-political current events. This thread is a tough call, because as I said, I know where it's headed. I'm willing to be proven wrong, and that's why I'm giving it a little leeway.

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 06:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Cogswell Pepperbox
Did I Fire 6 Shots or Only 5 ?

Mana: 

I can dig that.

Personally, I think it's a non-starter discussion, for the reasons I stated above - the Federal Government is not going to tolerate any kind of serious internal threat from its own people ...

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 07:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

If people are so unsatisfied with the current way things are going to the point that there is a large portion of the population even considering a revolution whether it be violent or peaceful then the government needs to find a way to fix what's wrong or compromise. Albert, i know there is jobs to be found... I'm working security at near minimum wage because i got laid off last year when the company i worked for moved over seas... i took a 10 dollar an hour paycut. I'm glad i have a job but it isnt really enough to pay my bills yet alone provide my daughter a better life. But congressman of all parties are always wanting a pay raise?

Posted: Sat Nov 5th, 2011 12:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

CSMiller.....I appreciate what you're doing working for a better life for you & your daughter....I admire that quality and I sure can empathize with a $10 pay cut.....I certainly hope things improve, not only for you, but for our entire nation.....Knowing myself as I do, and knowing you (based on your demeanor and content of conversation) I was confident this wouldn't turn political....Personally, I NEVER discuss religion or politics....
While the Wall Street Occupiers have their rights to assemble, voice their opinions, etc, my opinion is that they will have little effect, I'm afraid....Since the whole thing started, this is the first time I've ever had a conversation with anybody about the situation....Which ges to show the importance/significance that it has, in my circles, anyway, everyone is different, it just never comes up in conversation with me & people I know...
My thought is that, for the most part and with the occassional "tightening of the belt" I still see "life as usual" in that people still spend too much at the mall and on stuff we really don't need. Yes, money is tight, but I don't see the wide-spread starvation of communities or businesses collapsing as the news media would have us believe. I think, IF the economy goes belly-up on the scale of the Crash of '29, then there will be more civil unrest. The magnatude of an economic crash on such a scale as 1929 hasn't happened yet, so I think more people feel disaffected than affected.
Thanks!!

Posted: Sun Nov 6th, 2011 03:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

My brothers wife's great aunt is 91 or 92 and she told me that during the great depression she couldnt remember going hungry that food prices didnt really go up but she said that now she can barely eat off what she makes on Social security much less pay her gas and power bills. she ended up claiming bankrupt earlier this year and lost everything that was suppose to go to my niece. I know there are countries going through rougher times but for the U.S to have done this to itself is what is so appalling to me. I think if everyone would only by products made in america some of these companies would move back... but i doubt anyone would ever do that.

Posted: Sun Nov 6th, 2011 04:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Again, I agree.....Buy AMERICAN and increase our own profitability and keep our own people employed.
I also agree that it is a travesty that our elderly feel the financial pinch ( a mild term) that they do. I think we owe them something for their sacrafices, not only as Veterans, but as people on the "home-front" of WWII, Korea, etc...My mother-in -law, my wife's Dad, was a WWII Vet that died when my wife was 8 years old on the '60's, leaving a family of 6 kids.....No government stepped up to help the family, yet my mother in law raised all 6 kids...Given her hardships and dedication to family, I do not think it fair that she is not given the Social Seurity she is promised....As a nation, we owe people like her, and your Great Aunt, a debt of gratitude....

Posted: Sun Nov 6th, 2011 07:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

one day hopefully people will start realizing that for every honda we by and other foriegn products we are taking jobs and money out of our own hands... hopefully it wont take a revolution for them to see that though

Posted: Mon Nov 7th, 2011 12:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Ame, brother....Amen.....

Posted: Sun Nov 13th, 2011 04:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
jojotater

Mana: 

They couldn't organize a revolution. They don't even know what they stand for. A handful may have some ideas, but I believe the rest are just there to be there.

Jojo

http://civilwarnovel.com

Posted: Sun Nov 20th, 2011 11:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

i think it actually may be an economical revolution/ civil war

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2012 07:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Anastasia

Mana: 

I'm sorry, we just sell the game.If you like, you can come here: http://www.mmomesos.com and http://www.diablo4shop.com, I am here waiting for you!

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2012 08:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Yes, you're sorry alright- and so is the rest of your gang of newly arrived advertising vermin now plaguing the forum like roaches. Hopefully, the moderator will recover and disinfect the place.

Posted: Fri Dec 21st, 2012 10:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Insecurity

Mana: 

Looking at the US from the outside, I can honestly say that there doesn't seem to be a revolution brewing. If they did, all of a sudden, choose to revolt and turn on eachother, the US would simply fall apart. A country can only take so much, and as strong as the good ol' USA is, with the deficit and whatnot, the country would lose it's "powerhouse" standing and become, excuse me, nothing. I love the US, even though i'm not an American, and I can say if a revolution started, there would be nothing to stop it from becoming a full-fledged world war, not only affecting the US, but the rest of our globe as well.

~Insecurity.

Current time is 08:07 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5273 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 24 queries executed.