Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

National Treasure: Book of Secrets - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Mar 4th, 2007 09:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Just saw this on movieblog.com and thought some of you might be interested. A couple of years ago, or perhaps more recently, Nicholas Cage starred in an adventure treasure hunt thriller "National Treasure" that earned  a tasty $355-million worldwide.  Numbers like that usually scream out for a sequel, so guess what?

Cage will be appearing in "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" and the topic is about Abraham Lincoln, his assassination and Confederate gold.  Well that caught my attention.

Of course, it is fiction. To review, in the previous film Cage played a treasure hunter who specialized in historical relics. He made history look like fun and the movie was rumored to have sparked a rebirth of interest in history among the young.

I guess I'll be going to see it when this sequel comes out--no date set yet-- because it intrigues me how the scriptwriters will handle this topic. I hope this movie is as fast paced and as absorbing as the previous film. Given its subject matter, it has the potential to be even better. I hope the script won't be filled with blatant historical inaccuracies. Oh well, even if it is, it will be a challenge to try to pick them out if and when they do appear.

Posted: Mon Mar 5th, 2007 12:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan I saw the first National Treasure as a rental at a friend's house.  I was expecting to pick it apart and hae it but I didn't .  I ignored any glaring mistakes, willing suspension of disblief.  Found myself talking to the screen , you know yelling look out he's behind you . I will see the second one but like you hope for no glaring mistakes and look for the ones that almost surely will be there.  

Hollywood just doesn't get it that most times truth is ofen as interesting as the fiction they create . 

Susan

Last edited on Mon Mar 5th, 2007 12:37 am by susansweet

Posted: Mon Mar 5th, 2007 12:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

The first wasn't bad for a rental. Kept thinking I know that exact location. Look forward to the sequal.

Doc C

Posted: Mon Mar 5th, 2007 01:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

That's it .  It is a good rental but I wouldn't go to the movies to see it . 

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Mar 5th, 2007 06:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I feel the same way about movie theatres and I have a million choices here.  People are talking though the movie some on their phones, Or I get the restless person in front of me.  The one that jumps up and leaves every five minutes.  Don't know if that is worse than the seat kicker . who sits behind you and kicks you seat.  Anymore I just wait for them to come out on dvd and then I can watch them any time I want.  I do like to see some on big screen Captain and Commander would not be the same on a small screen but lately even hose type get seen at home.  Saves me money and I can have my own popcorn and diet coke .  I can also pause the movie when needed !!!!

One of the last movies I saw  in a theatre was Gone with the Wind . . . . . of course it was just last year in a special showing at the opening of a remodeled Art Deco theatre in San Pedro .  I did opt out of the hoop skirt although many did wear them  Picture women trying to sit in old type theatre seats in hoop skirts!!!!

Susan

Posted: Mon Mar 5th, 2007 06:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

Rented "National Treasure" sometime back then. Slept through some of it; didn't may much attention to most of it, and remember only a scene or two. Have been to a movie theater about six or seven times in the last 20 years. Mostly it's pay-per-view or a rental. My definition of a good movie is when I pay attention. A really good movie is when I cross my legs tightly and can't tear myself away long enough to get a beer from the refrigerator. There are precious few that qualify.

Ole

Posted: Mon Mar 5th, 2007 07:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Good defintions of the level of movies.  Ole.  Made me laugh out loud. 

Posted: Mon Mar 5th, 2007 04:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

On the subject of movies:

There is a unique experience out there...probably in proximity to major cities only .... wherein the theater shows only classics and serves food and adult beverages during the showing and includes an interlude with one of the performers. My first impression was that the disruption would be intolerable. Au contrair, mon frere. Ordered, ate, sloshed .... didn't detract at all from the picture. Watched GWTW and met Bonnie Blue. Watched "To Kill a Mockingbird" and met Scout. Doesn't sound like much, but the totality was quite pleasurable. A business opportunity? Missus Ole had also gone to see "West Side Story" with her enthusiastic stepdaugher and met a couple of the aging stars. (Does the county fair circuit mean anything to you?)

Now that I'm thinking about it again, guess I'll check the schedule. It was good enough to go back again.

Ole

Posted: Mon Mar 5th, 2007 04:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ole the actress that played Bonnie Blue was at the screening of GWTW I attended .  Your experience sounds like fun.  I would have loved to go with Mrs. Ole to see West Side Story.  I was addicted to it as a teenager and still marvel at the dancer/actors that are from the movie and are all over tv doing other things.  I think I memorized the program in the days when big movies were shown in Hollywood first and actually had a color program with all kinds of information in them. 

Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2007 06:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
ole

Mana: 

Mrs. Ole went to see "West Side Story" with my daughter. That's one movie I dislike. I wish they'd have made it with singers instead of box-office attractions.

Ole

Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2007 08:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Well true ,but Marni Nixon did sing Maria's part for Miss Woods. I didn't care that much for Richard Beymer but loved the dancing and the dancers. 

Posted: Fri Oct 26th, 2007 04:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I heard that this movie is going to be in theaters in November. I heard it off of Entertainment Tonight so I guess that its true. I saw the first one and I thought it was good so I;m curious to see how this one will be.

Posted: Mon Oct 29th, 2007 12:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

In the movie theater I saw that this movie will be out on December 21.

Posted: Mon Oct 29th, 2007 01:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
David White

Mana: 

Mr. Duncan:

I was out your way last month visiting Goodfellow AFB, I must say, once I left Llano there is nothing except for Brady until you get to San Angelo. I'm still scrapping bug carcasses off the grill of my car.

That was my first trip to San Angelo (you really don't pass through San Angelo I guess you have to be heading there). It seems to be a town of haves and have nots, parts of it nice (Ft. Concho and the Riverwalk) but the area around the base is all boarded up and abandoned. Also they still roll the streets up on Sunday, I felt like I'd taken a trip back into time.

Current time is 04:04 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1878 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.