Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

cole youngers house - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Apr 15th, 2007 05:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
richards

Mana: 

I'm currently reading a book about Quantrill.  In the book Cole Younger is being discussed.  As I was growing up in Lee's Summit, MO a few miles south of town was a house owned by the Youngers.  In the book they are talking about how Cole made a union officer mad at him and his dad tells him that he needs to go either to school in KC or to the farm in Jackson County (the one I remember) to get him away from being arrested.  The book said that his dad was one of the wealthiest men in MO at that time and actually owned 5 farms in MO.  It doesn't say whether Cole went to the farm or to school.  About 10 or 15 years ago, for some stupid reason, they decided to tear that house down.  Every time when I was younger and I'd go past that house, I'd have to look and use my imagination as to what it looked like back in those days.  I never did get to go take a look around in it or through it, which I really regret now.  I did have some friends that had went through it and said it was neat and had bullet holes in the walls.  It was never opened to the public and I was always worried that if I did go look at it, that I'd be arrested for trespassing or something.  It just really made me mad that they did that...it should have been restored or something and made into a historical landmark or something!!  Why tear it down, it was a piece of history and especially local history in this area.  What a waste!!  When I was reading that in the book it reminded me of it and made me mad again and I was just wanting to see what others thoughts on the subject were. 

Last edited on Sun Apr 15th, 2007 05:09 pm by richards

Posted: Sun Apr 15th, 2007 06:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Richards if you want to learn more about Cole Younger and the James Gang I found a great website http://www.civilwarstlouis.com/History/jamesgangoutlaws.htm

As to the building being torn down, if it had never been open to the public and sounds like it was in bad shape.  It might have cost more to restore than to tear down.  Or it might be the people of that town consider Cole Younger an outlaw and now worth honoring. 

I booked a great speaker for Tuesday night for our round table. I know the room will be wall to wall people.  The Subject is Jesse James the outlaw years.  The guy already spoke to us about Jesse James in the Civil War,  One of our members lectured me up one side and down the other about Jesse James had no business being presented at a Civil War Round Table.  He also informed me he and his wife would not be attending.  I almost said good leaves room for others. 

The Missouri boys and the war there is a touchy subject.  Different than other parts of the country.  Another thought,  do you know if there are other Cole Younger sites that are historical sites open to the public to visit? 

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 04:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
missourianconfederate

Mana: 

Ya... Theres quite a few resources and such on Missouri Border War/Civil War and the James Gang. My Great Uncle is the Border War and James Younger Gang expert I'm the Civil War. But there is a Museum up in Kearney, MO that tells the tale of the James - Younger Gang.

I think I know what book your reading... But I believe he stayed on the farm then was harrassed so much he join the Missouri State Guard under Sterling Price and then later joined Quantrill Raiders...

Unfortunately I won't be able to talk much this weekend I got my Senior Prom and a Reenactment in Olathe, KS.

But I say if you have time Richards go around and visit Kearney and Liberty.. I know that James Country spealizes in Border War books... But I think the store is closed in Liberty...so ya...

Long Live Missouri!

Your obdt. Servant,

Pvt. Benjamin M L W

3rd MO Infantry, CSA

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 04:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

have a good time at your prom and reenactment.

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 06:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

You might consider this Harrisonville site. An incident in that place allegedly led to Cole Younger joining up with Quantrill.

Tourism

Current time is 02:24 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1515 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 24 queries executed.