View single post by susansweet
 Posted: Sat Dec 29th, 2007 01:31 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet

Mana: 

If you are driving from New Orleans to Vicksburg you will go right by one of Jefferson Davis's homes in Mississippi.  ,  Along the way you will go by Laura Plantation and Oak Alley and Nottaway plantations,  Port Hudson ,  the Windsor Ruins , one of the largest plantations on the Mississippi which burned in the 1890's I believe.  , Then there is Grand Gulf and Port Gibson.  Just north you find Natchez which is a wonderful small city with a very moving Confederate section of the City Cemetary  The day I was there each grave had the Confederate Flag and the Metal Cross which the sun was reflecting off of them. The breeze was blowing the flags .  Longwood is a wonderful octagonal house that was being built as the Civil War started .  All the employees were from the North ,  They laid their tools down and left,  It has never been finished and has a very sad tale to tell. 

Jefferson Davis home is at Woodville , Rosemont Plantation one mile east of US 61 on State road 24   a family home of Jefferson Davis . 

Vicksburg don't miss the Cario.  

New Orleans the Confederate Museum, for Jackson Chalmette Battlefield (battle of New Orleans.   * I drove it with the Johnny Horton Song playing on my cd player. 

Also there is the statute of Jackson in Jackson Sq.  stop and have coffee at Cafe DuMonde

Oh and the Cabildo has a death mask of Napoleon .

Have a great time .

Susan

Close Window