View single post by ole
 Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 02:17 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

$200? And we are paying what everyone else is paying for a barrel of crude. It is not one price for us and another for the rest of the world. OPEC controls the price of  pretty much all of the oil in the world -- except ours, and Canada's, and maybe Mexico's. Opec countries slow down the pumping and the rest of the world has to pay whatever is asked to get a taste.

It's quite boggling. I am so glad that we elect people to look out for our interests. And, try as they might, there is no getting past the idea that we are currently dependent. We've drilled nothing new and have used nothing new in years and years. Nevermind that oil is a finite thing, and one of these days we must be shut of it. But we talk and we talk. It is not comforting that we can get 50 or 100 years worth of oil by tapping what we haven't. Yet. One hundred years gets me past the hard times, and maybe my grandchildren, but theirs start to get a bit mirky.

Does that sound green? Let me assure you that I am not a greenie. I'm not even a Sierra Clubber. But as chancy as it seems, there is an argument that we are going to hell in a handbasket. Although I'm personally inclined to scoff at that, I'm not so stupid as to toss it off. The ramifications are far too great to just make it a sound bite. We're replanting forests, and we're cleaning our water. We're looking at sustainable sources of energy and genetically altering crops to produce where they were never able to produce before. Are we replenishing our supply of oil? Ooops!

Enough soapbox.

ole

Close Window