View single post by susansweet
 Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 07:25 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet

Mana: 

Albert I do have Francis Marion Davis' Mississippi Mounted Militia records ,  He served about a year then was sick , wounded and had small children at home so went home.  That is what it says on a paper I have from his comanding officer in the paperwork for my cousin's application for UDC.  He had a 680 acre farm in Northern Mississippi Marshall County. 

I also have the military record of my great grandfather on my father's side.  Aaron Sweet 19th Michigan fought at Thompson Station captured, sent by cattle car to Richmond , held in Libby Prison for about a month.  Left prison in exchange with a lung diease .  he was mustered out at Camp Chase Ohio and went home summer of 1864.  His whole Civil War career was one battle . 

My other Union Civil War soldiers were the older brothers of my other great grandfather they were with an Illinois regiment that did durty at Fort Donelson and Clarkville. One was Provost Marshall in Clarksville area.  The Morgan brothers were interesting as the oldest son had died storming the walls of Chapultepec in the Mexican war.  These two middle brothers were the Captain and Lieutenant of a company in  28th Illinois regiment and their little brother my great grandfather was in the transportation department  of the Quartermasters department in Clarksville the last year of the war. 

Doesn't seem to matter whether they were northern or southern my family all seemed to have been in Mississippi /Tennessee area during the war . 

My mother's family is southern all the way back to Colonial times, my father's family Northern all the way back to the same time periods. 

Me I am totally western having been born and raised in California where my parents met.

Susan

Close Window