View single post by connyankee
 Posted: Wed Mar 15th, 2006 07:51 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
connyankee

Mana: 

It doesn't look too promising for me to get out on the road this year.  I may swing a trip to Gettysburg though - it's been about three years since my last visit.

If anyone thinks they need it, civilwartraveler.com has some excellent tour maps.

Basecat, I did the Overland Campaign a while back in some detail - from the fords on the Rapidan all the way to Appomattox.  At the time, I was hell-bent to stay on the line if it took all summer.  In reality, it took me five years (piecemeal)!  I highly recommend stopping at North Anna to witness some of the genius of Robert E. Lee and some of the finest preserved earthworks that you'll ever see.  Get a brochure at Frderickburg Visitor Center which contains a map and tour guide, or, I can mail you mine.

Lee's retreat is a nice relaxing trip over the VA countryside and also highly recommended.  Everything you'll need can be found at the Petersburg V.C.  There's a companion book witten by Chris Calkins titled "Lee's Retreat: A History and Field Guide" that I recommend to anyone making this trip.  When I went, there was a short audio presentation at each of the 25 tour stops that you could listen to by tuning your radio to a certain station.

Enjoy yourself.  This is one of the neatest trips I ever took and well worth the time and money I invested.

Regards to all,

ConnYankee

Close Window