View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Sat Jan 5th, 2008 03:10 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I'm quoting a far more knowledgeable man that I here.  THank you Tim aka Trice (over on CWT) for the data I saved from his discussion on Dissonance by David Detzer.

"All across Virginia on this day average voters had their own say on secession. The results of the referendum were: 96,750 in favor of secession, 32,134 against.

In reality, those numbers constituted a sham. Virginia already housed thousands of out-of-state Confederate soldiers on its soil.

In rough terms, on May 23rd when the Virginians voted, there were somewhere above 18,000 "foreign" troops in the state, probably about 25,000 and perhaps more. There were also some number, probably above 20,000 and very possibly above 30,000 Virginia troops organizing. These were generally avid secessionists (not all; the 1st VA Volunteers (Union) were also organizing).

But what exactly were they voting on? Secession was already in existence de facto. The state government has already initiated hostilities with the US, seized all Federal facilities it can easily get, fired at US flag vessels, and sent Virginia forces and weapons into Maryland. The Confederate capital is already moving to Richmond. A alliance is already in effect.

So what would have happened if the state voted "NO" with a roar? Would all those "foreign" troops have immediately left peacefully (giving back the weaponsd virginia had already issued them)? Would Jefferson Davis and his government (who had already shown a propensity for direct action) have simply left? Would Virginia have to pay recompense to the Federal government for the damage they had done?

I suppose the Confederates might have left, quietly and peacefully. They might have given back the thousands of sets of arms and equipment VA had given them, the guns, etc. Lincoln might have rushed to welcome them, and all might have been forgiven. But it might have been a little hard to see it that way in VA in May of 1861, with the streets and bars full of soldiers and parades.

If the secessionists in VA had wanted a fair and quiet election, they could have had one. All they had to do was to wait before acting, to refrain from attacking the US and inviting the Confederacy in. Notice that they did not, and rushed to create a situation where victory for their side was highly likely."

Close Window