View single post by 39th Miss. Walker
 Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2008 02:07 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
39th Miss. Walker
Member
 

Joined: Tue May 1st, 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 80
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 

  back to top

Ole your last paragraph certainly rings true.

There were supporters of some tariffs in the South, there was a battle between the Unionist and Nullifiers/ anti-tariff forces throughout the 1812 to 1832 time period.

The point I keep trying to drive home which many just are unwilling to see is the whole picture. One can argue just tariffs and not come to any conclusion one way or the other.
Although one telling statistic was South Carolina on the average was paying over $500,000 per year more in tariffs that they got back from the Federal Government.

The whole issue is not just one tariff but a series of tariffs, the consequences of the tariffs, where the money was going to, for what, and the larger ramifications as to were the tariffs constitutional or not? Were internal improvements constitutional? Interference in internal State affairs, and the re-apportionment of excess funds.

Once you start looking at all of these together you will get a whole different picture, Add to this the almost 20 years of depressed prices for cotton, the failure of the lands to continue producing, immigration to western lands and the drain on the financial resources of South Carolina.

These contributed to the tariff question and lead to the US and the South almost coming to blows in 1832.

I am tired of the $2 argument, it doesn't hold water, neither does the flat 70% deal. What does hold water on only the most superficial basis was the 40% doctrine. Basically what this said was with the tariffs the planters only received 60% of the proceeds from the sale of their cotton or rice, the other 40% was lost due to tariffs.

If one does not look at the entire concept of States Rights, one can not understand the tariff's controversy. It was far more than just a series of taxes.

I will be the first to admit that some of the rhetoric from the South was basically alarmist propaganda. But the basic premise was there.

Look at the whole picture and you will understand. They didn't make this stuff up folks. If it was that cut and dried the US would not have been on the brink of war in 1832.

 Close Window