View single post by connyankee
 Posted: Tue Sep 13th, 2005 12:02 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
connyankee

Mana: 

Earlier this year, in April, I took an excursion that I'd wanted to do for years - to Shiloh.  I live in New England.  I especially wanted to view the place on the anniversary of the battle and I wasn't disappointed.  I had a wonderful time there.  I had gotten some great tips from a number of people here and certainly took advantage of these.

Hagys was great - just go north after you leave the park, look for a big billboard on the right and follow the winding road to the river.  Hushpuppies, ribs, catfish, and the best cole slaw on the planet await you.  I told the lady where I was from and that I was "ordered to eat here," and "yankees don't do catfish."  She just laughed and laughed even harder when I said that one guy advised that " if you don't go to Hagys, don't bother going to Shiloh."  Those were some pretty strong words.  Everything was good - especially the catfish!

All in all, I went to 11 battlefields on this 3200 mile journey,  toured a number of historic homes and made a very special and passionate visit to Franklin, TN.  Gas was averaging about $2.25/gal at the time.  Spent roughly $350 on gas.

It doesn't get any better.

:) Regards, CY

Last edited on Tue Sep 13th, 2005 12:22 am by connyankee

Close Window