View single post by Bama46
 Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2008 05:46 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Bama46
$user_title

Mana: 

Ole,

Sharpshooters or Snipers as well as precison target shooters must use the best rounds available...for example, in the aforementioned professions, each rifle will have a round crafted especially for it.. you and I may have the exact same rifle, but we have two distinctly different rounds... A sharpshooter/sniper cannot aford to allow his round to let him down..his life is at stake.. a competitive marksman is frequently shooting at distances as long as 1000 meters and must know exactly how his bullet will perform in flight.. Example a .308 match bullet will drop 43 feet at those distances and wind can blow the bullet anywhere at all depending on strength.. the winner of those competitions is the one who has the most bullseyes in the 10 ring...a mighty small place..
contrast that with the hunter who is shooting at 200 to 300 yards and the killing zone of a deer which is approx 9 to 12 inches in diameter.. and while the hunter does need accurate ammo, it is not as critical as the sharpshooter / sniper or the long range target shooter...

And no, I do not shoot these distances, but I have a friend who does...61 and still has the eyesight and discipliine to shoot 1000 yd targets on a team..

Pistol loads need to be as accurate as possible due to the inherent inaccuracy of the pistol.. it is a short distance weapon.. so what you have to do is make the round as accurate as possible. If you shoot store bought ammo, you get a lot of variety in the rounds from lot to lot or brand to brand ...hand loading eliminates that.

Ed

Close Window