View single post by Bill
 Posted: Tue Mar 21st, 2006 12:46 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Bill

Mana: 

Ten days, not a long time, particularly when you consider that for every day you include, you exclude nearly 40 years.

From a distance one could be easily mistaken in believing that nothing that America did in any way affected her relationship to the rest of the world

I find this hard to believe, hence the few dates that I have culled together look as much outward. As I believe the current list looks inward.

While to some the dates and their inherent even may seem the work of a foreigner, let me for a moment remind you all that I am probably at this point of time your most southern, Southerner.

October 28, 1886, Unveiling of the Statue of Liberty.

And all it has come to represent to the vast millions and their descendants who flooded to America in the hope and faith of a new beginning.

Saturday, March 4, 1933 Franklyn D Roosevelt's first inaugural address. And those immortal words:

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance...."

June 5, 1947, Secretary of State, George Marshall's speech at the Harvard commencement. (The European Recovery Act - The Marshall Plan)

In a speech that calls upon America to help a desperate and starving Europe recover from World War II, the European Recovery Act (The Marshall plan) is born.
Who won the Second World War, is an argument raised perennially on those dates of it cessation. But for this observer what is more important is who won the peace. For me it is the Marshall Plan, one of the most unselfish acts of modern times..

Bill Wyndham

Melbourne (Not the Florida one)

Oz (not the Dorothy one either)

Close Window