View single post by Michael C. Hardy
 Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 01:12 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Michael C. Hardy

Mana: 

Roger:

So far, all of my ancestors from that time period have been Confederate - 37th AL, 58th AL, 7th AL Cav., 48th TN, and 7th Batt. Conf. Cav. Being that my mom’s family is from Southern Appalachia, I’ve always expected to find deserters, or Federal soldiers. But to date, I have not. I guess if I were to throw cousins into the mix, then I would come out with more chances. In 1860, I have family in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky. One of my ancestors in the 37th AL joins the 11th FL after the Vicksburg surrender.

My wife’s family, who is also from Southern Appalachia, has all Federal ancestors save one, a great-great-great uncle in the 21st Virginia Cav.

If I found an ancestor on the other side, I would be as proud of him as I am the ones on the Confederate side. Maybe it would give me yet another angle to research and write about.

It is amazing how some people are so caught up in their past and at times are in denial about ancestors who served on the other side. A couple of years ago I was working at one of our local museums and had a women come in, excited about one of her ancestors in the 3rd North Carolina. Well, the only 3rd North Carolina out of the mountains was the 3rd North Carolina Mounted Infantry - US. When I told the lady this, and pulled out a book with his named on the roster, she said that that could not be her ancestor, and walked off.

Regards,
Michael
http://www.michaelchardy.com

Close Window