View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 02:14 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Roger, that last pic gives me the view of the canteen, looks like one to me. You do what those who have seen equipment & men in the field need to do; you show the wear, tear and abuse. So many minis I have seen over the years lack that. More often than not they look like they just stepped off a parade ground w/ equipment right out of the factory. When in reality it doesn't take long for that factory & garrison fresh look to disapear altogether. Pretty but not real.

When I first started w/ minis there was an elderly gent on my paper route who had an enormous train set in his house. He was widowed in a rambling 1 story house he had his bedroom & kitchen the rest of the house had been taken over by an enormous HO scale 1930's era train set/cityscape & rural scene. He'd been one of those men in a caboose for better than forty years and been everywhere the tracks went. He'd retired in the late 70's. His comment about "Nothing is new once it leaves the factory yard; nothing hides from mother nature." Has stuck w/ me since. All of his train cars & engines were weathered; some more substantially than others. He taught me how to weather a model using inkwashes, drybrushing & chalk dust. His critiques of my first tanks & those Tamiya gun crews have always stuck w/ me. He is the reason my first diorama won a purple ribbon. A WW2 diorama w/ Pak 40 & crew in a prepared position. It's long destroyed by one of a score of moves but its the diorama I'm most proud of. That fine old gent helped me build it.

Close Window