View single post by JoanieReb
 Posted: Tue Feb 5th, 2008 01:43 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JoanieReb

Mana: 

And here I've been putting off reading this thread because I thought it might be dry and boring!  (I'm still catching up on the threads I missed last month.)

The information on fortifications is truly fascinating.

"The CW was interesting period in that the tactics did change from a Napoleonistic form of warfare to the trench warfare as was so common in WWI. It's tactics were the predecessor of the Great War later to come."

Very important point here!  Remember how, in the W. Va. campaign early in the war, Lee's penchant for "digging in" earned him the derisive nicknames, "The King of Spades" and "Granny Lee".  Well, the soldiers on both sides figured it out fast enough!

My favorite fortification is the rapidly thrown together "Mule Shoe Salient" at Spotsylvania. 

As for the pioneers discussion, I'm emailing with a knowledgable friend about this, as I was also of the belief that a vast number of the pioneers in the Carolina campaign were black.  At the risk of stirring the pot back up to boiling, I'm going to share some of the info he's sent me.  I hope to make it to the library this afternoon to do a bit of fact-checking, but if I can't make it, I'll just share it as is.

Close Window