View single post by Art B.
 Posted: Mon Apr 3rd, 2006 05:38 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Art B.

Mana: 

Hello all...My first post on this particular discussion board.

"Stars and bars" refers to the first national flag of the Confederacy, not the Confederate battle flag, which is the true victim in this misdirected bit of nationalistic, politically incorrect angst.

Take a peek here: http://www.grpflags.com/historical_flags/stars_and_bars.htm

Anyhow, if any Civil War flag should be argued against, it should be the  Confederate national flag [in any of its versions] since it was the one that represented the governing bodies that, in their consititution, championed slavery.

The battle flag, square [not rectangular, that's the naval jack]--solid red--blue X--white stars, has been misapproriated, misrepresented, and used for vile purposes against minorities. The battleflag should be copyrighted and any commercial user of it charged an arm-and-a-leg. I can't believe the UDC hasn't campaigned against the Neo-Nazis, Skinheads, and KKK for absconding with such an important symbol of US history, not just southern US history.

Right, sweep it [the Civil War] under the rug, forget all about it...oh, except for certain parts that certain groups want everybody to now focus upon. It's an unpleasant topic, let's erase it from our history books -- there, now we don't have to face it! Sorry, folks, it's still there, a big lump that'll trip visitors.

Talk about rule by a minority, talk about apartheid in the US! Some few folk squawk to the "right" person or news outlet and, by that little noise, the majority is made to kow-tow and make all the allowances for the small group's sensitivity.

Anyhow, it's getting a bit fascist if you ask me; get rid of that flag, get rid of that book, get rid of that idea, get rid of those people...Where will it end? Hey, that question has been asked before. Here we are, repeating history!

Art B.

Close Window