View single post by MAubrecht
 Posted: Tue Apr 4th, 2006 04:48 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
MAubrecht

Mana: 

Ulysses,

You've had some great insights. You want the freedom to state your case (which you absolutely have the right to do) BUT towards the end of your post you say something about "let's not turn our discussion board into a mean spirited debate over this issue" - yet you enter this conversation using an extremely large and bolded font which at least appears online as "aggressive". You state your argument with passion, and conviction BUT with an insightful tone... at least that's how it comes across "visually." Perhaps your firsthand experience as a "former worker in the Civil Rights battle" has left you with a bad taste in regards to the C.S.A. flag and ultimately Confederate history, but to make blanket statements that implies (at least in my take) that ALL recognition of C.S.A. symbolism continues (key word being "continues") to stand for the remembrance of a pro-slavery ideology in the 21st Century is wrong.

You say "Think for just a minute of being a black resident living there, descendant of slaves, and having to do business in that court house, and having to look up at that Battle Flag!" Personally, I do not care what they think - just as they do not care what I think when they drive down the street blasting their offensive and profanity filled rap music. What? That sounds so insensitive - but that is my point exactly - why should it bother them? Why should it bother me? Why do we feel the need to be so politically-correct and ultra-sensitive at the expense of each other rights? There are certainly more important issues that need to be addressed - not flags or music. In other words, we BOTH should have the freedom to express our history and heritage. We BOTH have the right to feel pride in our ancestors and cultures no matter what color we are.

Also, what about other races? According to your logic, isn't an American Flag flying on an Indian Reservation a slap in the face to their ancestors? OR... is it a historic symbol that (at one time) was linked to crimes against humanity. Certainly Old Glory did not stand "solely" for the desecration of Native Americans - just as the "Stars and Bars etc." did not stand "solely" for slavery. It stood for REBELLION against a ruling power. BTW: so did the Stars and Stripes. Once again - symbology means different things to different people.

True EQUALITY is the ability for ALL people to express themselves without fear of retribution from the other - whether that is a person flying a Confederate flag OR a person driving around listening to rap music. To prevent someone from recognizing their heritage, or expressing their culture (any person - of any color) is exactly what the Civil Rights movement fought to prevent.

I own a C.S.A. flag. I do NOT fly it, BUT I fully support one's right to do so. I can tell you that my black friends (no, I do not use the PC term of African-American as the "hyphenated-American" is a self-induced segregating term in my opinion - we are ALL just Americans)... anyway, they have no problem with the Confederate biographies and articles that I write (which openly praise great Christian soldiers in gray) and they are not offended by my support of the flag issue as they know that I am NOT one of those groups that you mention who have perverted the flag for their own racist ideology. In other words, if someone wants to pass judgment on an entire group of people - because of the negative actions of a few, ignorant groups - then they are just as guilty of "isms'" as the people they persecute. You, having experience in the Civil Rights movement, have to agree on that.

Freedom and equality are God-given blessings that we are lucky enough (being Americans) to enjoy. That means freedom and equality for everyone, including those that wish to recognize the Confederate flag.

Once again, I applaud your convictions and I respect your beliefs, but you said yourself, "Let's ALL be a little more tolerant..." Tolerance goes BOTH ways.

Close Window