View single post by MAubrecht
 Posted: Tue Apr 4th, 2006 06:46 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
MAubrecht

Mana: 

As I said General Grant... you are a class act and I thank you for your quick reply.

I don’t disagree with your points entirely, I just fear that people tend to judge a whole community in an unjust manner and automatically assume the worst of those who chose to fly that flag. Now I may be in a little bit of a different position as I live in Fredericksburg, VA (a Civil War tourist town) so my feeling on the flag flying around here may be a bit different from say, someone who wants to fly one in Buffalo NY. I am surrounded by 4 major battlefields.

In other words, IF the area (and the residents of that area) are based in this history and the ancestry and events of the conflict actually took place all around us - then the area (and the ground - and the people whose ancestors fought and died in our very backyards) may fall under a different category from some others you mention. Once again, I think we can both agree to disagree in some instances and agree in others - but the key is for everyone to have the right to express their culture and their heritage on both sides of the issue.

Also, I cannot comment on the specific "political issues" that you mention and all I can say is that my own experience with the SCV and UDC has been nothing less than outstanding. I will admit that all groups (no matter what they represent) have people with an agenda and I do not agree with many self-serving and biased agendas. So we do agree somewhat. (BTW: I'm a converted northerner and have no Confederate ancestors - or Union for that matter - and spent the first 20 years of my life in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) Thanks.

Last edited on Tue Apr 4th, 2006 08:27 pm by MAubrecht

Close Window