View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 02:41 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

ole wrote: Seems that Bama is the only one old enough to remember RADIO. "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?" The Shadow knows. Gangbusters. Fibber McGee and Molly.

ole

Wrong, Ole! I am old enough too. I used to sit on the kitchen floor and listen to those shows while my Mom made dinner. I loved "The Shadow Knows" and "Gangbusters". Another show I liked was on during the day, "Stella Dallas" which was kind of a radio soap opera. I didn't listen to "Fibber McGee and Molly", but I did listen to "Amos and Andy" at night and loved the character The Kingfish. We listened to Arthur Godfrey" in the morning. I didn't like Godfrey, though, even less when he switched to TV.

The worst radio memory I have is the Korean War. The local radio station announced the draftees' names each night. Mom would cower by the radio. I don't know what Dad was doing. What I was doing was hiding under the kitchen table. Somehow I believed that if I hid there, my Dad's name wouldn't be called. Mercifully, it never was. That kitchen table thing must have worked.

Last edited on Fri Feb 8th, 2008 02:42 am by CleburneFan

Close Window