View single post by Chuck Stiles
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 05:16 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Chuck Stiles

Mana: 

Just logged on as a new member.  Had great-great grandfathers who served in the Confederate units of western NC and northeast GA.  2 ancestors, Joseph Gibson and Alfred Panther served in the 39th NC infantry under Col. David Coleman.  Other members of our Stiles family served in local union organizations out of east Tennessee and western North Carolina.. My great great grandfather Thomas Stiles who served in Walkers Legion was captured by a union band that included his own son, Benjamin. He was sent to a union prison in Knoxville in 1863, where he died.  Do not know exactly where he is buried.  My mother's side of the family, the Ledfords and Berrongs served out of Towns County GA. and Clay County, NC.. these areas are right on the border of NC and GA.   David and Center Ledford enlisted in 1862 in Clay county NC.. both deserted in 1863, if I'm not mistaken.  Center rejoined the Confederate army but great-great grandfather David was captured by provost guards and killed.  This area of western North Carolina and northeast Georgia was very divided in it's choices of which side to join... Many just wanted to stay out of it altogether..  The Berrong ancestors served in the 52nd Georgia and 65th Georgia... Hope to enjoy talking with you all soon.

Chuck Stiles

Hayesville, North Carolina

Close Window