View single post by Chuck Stiles
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 11:22 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Chuck Stiles

Mana: 

Thank you for getting back in touch with me...

There are many stories like this in this area... some of us remember them from those who are already gone... I have been an avid, reader, painter and historian since those days when my father showed me the old razor that Joseph Gibson carried thru his time in the Army of Tennesee...(I think I was in the 4th grade at that rime) Joseph came home to the mountains of Cherokee County NC to where he grew up in what they then called Beech Creek, outside of Murphy NC.  His family was intermarried with the Panthers in that little small area...  Alfred  Panther came back home without much more than the clothes he had to cover him.. but Joseph had a rifle which we had brought home or someone in the family saved hidden to keep away from whatever raiders that decided to vist the homestead...  Any way, Joseph traded the rifle to Alfred Panther for a little ole mountain top outside of Murphy that to this day is still called Panther Top.   A mountain for a rifle...  at that time which do you figure was more impotant....  There comes the Stiles, Gibson, and Panther linage into my father's side of the family..

Close Window