View single post by susansweet
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 08:06 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet

Mana: 

That is a great story about Custer .  Geeze .

I am too old to have gotten the American Heritage Book as a child.  BUT the Landmark books are a different story.  I read as many of them as I could find.  Also another series on the childhood of famous Americans.  When I was a kid they were Orange with silouettes instead of drawings or pictures in them.  I read everyone of them too .  I think my real interest in history came from those books.  A couple of years ago a friend of a friend had heard me talking about how I collect beginning readers , he lucky for me misunderstood what I said .  He went to a yard sale and came back with a little orange book.  He handed it to me and I let out a whoop.  I had been searching for one of those treasured books for years .  He found this one at a yard sale in Cave Junction Oregon where we both were visiting the same friend.

Oh and the title of the one he found?  David Farragut  boy sailor.   I have sense found one at a bookstore here in So. Cal and have purchased two others on line form Alibris . 

So even though I never owned the book you are talking about I understand the connection to it.

Susan

Close Window