View single post by Rebel Yell
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 04:32 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

As I can tell that there are many long-time battlefield trampers in the group, I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share your memories of your first-ever battlefield visit???

Mine was a hot summer day in 1960 just after my 9th birthday.  I and my family were visiting my grandparents in Washington DC. To entertain myself on the long drive there from Connecticut, I read my Landmark Book series copy of "Gettysburg".  During the visit, my grandfather noticed the book and asked if I found it interesting. After replying in the positive, he then asked if I would like to go there.

I leapt at the opportunity!!! I will never forget my first views from Little Roundtop, climbing the boulders of Devils Den, seeing the cannon ball hole in Trostle's barn, and so much more. But the biggest thrill of the day for me was my grandfather and I walking the ground of Pickett's Charge (or Longstreet's Assault, if you prefer). As we approached The Angle I was overcome with awe and admiration for the brave men of both sides as I envisioned the carnage that took place there.  Thus began my interest in learning about the war and the men who fought it. Thanks, grandpa!!!

Close Window