View single post by ole
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 07:40 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

First vist ever was Sharpsburg. I don't remember why -- it just seemed like a good idea at the time. My bride got into the camping thing so we went east -- I think '87. Antietam, Harpers Ferry and Manassas. Had I been more up on what had happened I'd have wanted to look at the gaps in South Mountain and on to Leesburg and Ball's Bluff. But I wasn't and we didn't. (She liked the shopping in Harpers Ferry.)

Tent-camping a bit north of the Manassas Battlefield scared the bejeesus out of both of us. Creatures screaming in the night. (The host explained the next morning that the sounds were likely vixens summoning their kits, but that didn't settle the heebie-jeebies all that much.) Best part of that stop was a sailor on leave heading for Arizona on a motorcycle. Helped him set up his loaned tent, shared a beer or three, and fed him breakfast. Nice boy!

Next trip was, I think, about '03. Perryville. Same story, second verse. Wasn't prepared with knowledge of the battle before walking the ground. (It's quite impossible for me to read two books in an afternoon.) But it was a barbed hook. Now I plan to visit at least one annually. And I've learned to read up on each at least a little before the visit.

Nice thread!

ole:cool:

Close Window