View single post by Rebel Yell
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 08:10 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

Hi, Bama. The east cavalry field is an often overlooked part of the battlefield which means that you will probably have it all to yourselves when you go there.  Points of particular interest to me are the Rummel Farm (last time I went there was a small admission charge to actually go on the farm, but worth it),  the area where Custer began his charge ordering "C'mon, you Wolverines" and Cress Ridge (site of Stuart's horse artillery) and a good view of the field.  Blue & Gray magazine had an issue a while back with some excellent maps depicting the action, so if you have or can find it, I highly suggest taking it with you.

You might also want to go over the "south" cavalry field as well and follow Kilkpatrick's route leading up to the area of Farnsworth's Charge.  Again Blue & Gray had an issue containg info on the sites and personnel involved.

I personally don't think that Stuart's failure to gain the union rear was a factor in the repulse of Pickett's Charge. Even if Stuart had broken through, there was more than sufficient union infantry strength in his path to contain him. And, to be honest, I feel that Pickett's Charge would not have succeeded with or without Stuart. 

Just one more thought. If you have not yet had a meal at the Cashtown Inn, by all means go. It's a little pricey, but the ambiance and its historical significance are worth it.

Close Window