View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 02:19 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

So many times one reads about battles or campaigns that were impacted by terrible weather. Some that come to mind right off hand include Lee's withdrawal from Gettysburg mired in mud caused by torrential rains on the July Fourth, 1863 and thereafter. Another example is the seventeen days of nearly constant rain faced by Sherman's and Johnston's armies as they struggled toward Atlanta in 1864. Probably should mention, too, Burnside's infamous "Mud March" in December 1862. There are numerous other examples.

What I wonder is, in these days of severe droughts throughout the South East, it is so hard to imagine so many battles, retreats and advances influenced by driving, torrential rain during the periods of 1861 to 1865.  

Has any study been done on Civil War weather? Was it an unusually rainy time? Were some of the heaviest and longest rains tail ends of tropical storms or hurricanes in the gUlf or Atllantic? I'd be very interested in a book that analyses Civil War weather and how it impacted battle outcomes. Does anybody know of one?

Even if you don't know of such a book, I'd love to hear of other examples you know of where rain-swollen rivers, mud-clogged roads or blinding rain slowed or changed the outcome of a battle or campaign, even a raid or skirmish. 

Close Window