View single post by TimHoffman01
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 03:29 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

My first visit was to 1st Manassas around 1974.  I remember it was a slightly stormy day.  We mainly went through the visitor's center and their museum at the time.  We didn't walk the field much then, but I do remember getting up close and personal with some of the cannon.   Hey, I was only about 6 at the time.

It was enough of a seed at the time that I wanted to find out more.  Over the next several years I got to know that field pretty darn well.  Unfortunately it has been more than a decade since I've been able to go between work & family stuff.  Hopefully I can get the kids there this year.  I'm planning a lot of visits this spring/summer.  I actually plan on USING my vacation time this year.

Speaking of finding out more, I actually had my 8th Birthday party by the visitor's center at Chancellorsville.  I remember being astonished not long before that to find a group of Confederate soldiers "still there" when we were doing one of the trails.  I really didn't understand the concept of reenactments and reenactors at the time. One of the guys showed us how they had fun in camp with some period style playing cards and a pair of musket balls hammered flat on the sides and made into dice.  Pretty neat that.

Close Window