View single post by MAubrecht
 Posted: Fri Apr 14th, 2006 07:31 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
MAubrecht

Mana: 

I'd keep in mind that the 34 star flag DOES include those states that made up the Confederacy
This is entirely true.

I cannot comment first hand on this specific dilemma, as my ancestry is not represented on either side of the Civil War. However, if I had a relative that was killed under another military's banner (any banner - from any war), I would probably not "acknowledge it" in an equal fashion as I do my own flag. Now I understand that we are discussing THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES and a domestic Civil War with Americans killing Americans, but there is still documented political and theological division there that must be acknowledged.

Perhaps a few hundred years from now the re-enacting community will have "moved forward" on the historical timeline and the Gulf War (or Iraq conflict) will be the "Civil War" of the day. I would not expect relatives of our soldiers that are killed today to pay an equal respect to a Republican Guard's flag. It's very PC to say that we are beyond all of this, and we are friends, and have moved on etc. (in regards to all wars), but I think that you have to take your ancestor's first-hand experiences and beliefs into consideration when looking at the remembrance of history.

If they protested a flag enough to secede from their country and [in regards to officers] a government and military that they had served admirably in order to take up arms and fight (and die) against it, then their beliefs (within the context of that time period) certainly are worth making an allowance for.

I guess it also comes down to the concept of value. Do you value that opinion and belief of your family’s ancestry enough to "acknowledge" it today? I don't know the answer to that question and I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong one here.

Disrespecting a flag of honor (any flag) is obviously wrong, but you cannot expect (or force) everybody from both sides of a war to embrace the other's flag with an equal adoration as they do their own. If so, then what did they fight and die for? And why do you memorialize them? One again, it must be viewed within the proper period and context.

It’s all too “Can’t we all just get along’ish” and that doesn’t quite work for me. Honesty and integrity, and the debate and sharing of opposing ideals and beliefs are what America is all about.

Last edited on Fri Apr 14th, 2006 08:32 pm by MAubrecht

Close Window