View single post by booklover
 Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 04:18 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
booklover

Mana: 

I have a B.A. in history and while I wouldn't change a thing, it certainly hasn't opened any doors for me. Doing journalism for 14 years didn't require it, nor has working in a bookstore for the past 8. Not trying to discourage you Dixie, but realize that our society doesn't appreciate liberal arts degrees nor do most people who do the hiring think the things you learned while getting that degree can be transferred to "the real world".

My goal in life was to get my bachelors, then masters and finally the doctorate and then teach at either a small university or private college, using that as a means to the end of writing history. I questioned whether getting the degrees had any value (plus I was sick of school) so I decided to work a couple of years and then go back to school. I never did.

Today, I realize that I can still write without the doctorate, and in some ways I think it might even be a help instead of a hindrance. The biggest problem is that grant monies and fellowships that will help you do research are generally available only for college professors or those with an advanced degree.

So Dixie, get your degree in history but minor in something more "practical".

Best
Rob

Close Window