View single post by ashbel
 Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 08:12 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ashbel

Mana: 

I think anyone who is realistic would tell you that finding a job in history is very, very difficult.  I had dinner on Tuesday night with a Professor of Civil War history.  He told me that before he takes a PhD student he does everything he can to discourage them from selecting history as a profession.  If they still want to press forward, he does everything in his power to prepare them for the job market.  So far all of his PhD graduates have found jobs.

Everybody is different.  I have one son who asked for advice on what to do.  I told him that anything in medicine was going to be in demand because of our aging population.  He went to school and was hired immediately.  My daughter studied PR and found a job at a top magazine even before she graduated.  My second son studied history and he is working for one of my companies.  He is doing a fabulous job and has been successful.  But there weren't any recruiters at his door when he graduated.

Although a liberal arts education may not prepare someone for a specific job it does give them perspective and judgement.  These are very valuable qualities for employees in any organization. 

The scariest thing to me is to imagine our country with a bunch of people who have never studied history.  That would ensure that we will live in a world constantly repeating the mistakes of the past.

Close Window