View single post by booklover
 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 02:24 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
booklover

Mana: 

Dixie,

I certainly admire your spirit, but I can also tell you that when you get into your first real history class (not just a survey course, but one on a specific time period) you'll realize just how many times you have to take the bad with the good. I had the best Civil War history teacher and I took everything I could with him. I had the worst World War II history professor (a subject I dearly loved and still do) and I actually got up and walked out of his class because he was so boring (which I should have been disciplined for, but never was). As someone who was used to high school tests, the very first test I took in college I failed miserably. I realized then that they were actually trying to teach me to become a historian and not just be a history major. When I said minor in something practical, I meant in something like business or computers or something that will add to your ability to find work once school is over with. There's nothing wrong with adding practicality to your dream. Also, take creative writing classes. There is a very famous historian named C. Vann Woodward (whom you will encounter, I'm sure) who once told me that studying history is only half of it. He said that the motive for learning about the past should include the desire to write about it as well as teach it. Those are words that I have lived with ever since. Good luck with your future plans and read read read!

Best
Rob

Close Window