View single post by connyankee
 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 03:50 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
connyankee

Mana: 

That's right, ashbel.  I think it's time for me to take a week or so and do the Wilderness-to-Petersburg tour again.  I'm getting the itch again.  Just north of Richmond is always a problem because it is so cluttered with modern development.  I haven't been to Yellow Tavern site yet for that reason, having got lost in there one time.

One time, I was sitting at the Mule Shoe reading a chapter out of a book.  Park Ranger comes along and I say, "Yep, - it doesn't get much better than this. It's the ultimate classroom."  He says, "Yep" and moves along.  Another time, I went very early in the morning and there was a low fog about.  It gave me the creeps.   Monuments and even trees took on a rather ghostly appearance. Same thing at Cold Harbor.  Walking the little trail toward the reb's line, I'm sort of looking behind every tree and anticipating at any second to start seeing the slouch hats pop up from the trenches.  Just a few musings - it is a lot of fun and informative too.  As long as I can come away each time after learning something new, I'll continue to go back.

:)

Close Window