View single post by MAubrecht
 Posted: Mon Apr 17th, 2006 03:38 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
MAubrecht

Mana: 

I know that I am in the minority here, but I've mentioned my high regard for the Ron Maxwell film "Gods and Generals" and Stephen Lang's portrayal of "Stonewall" Jackson. I also enjoyed Joseph Fuqua's performance as JEB Stuart in both "G&G" and "Gettysburg" and hope to see him appear again as the "Southern Knight" in the series finale ""Last Full Measure" (IF it ever sees the light of day.) One of my favorite scenes in "Gods and Generals" depicts the initial meeting between the then Colonel Jackson and Lieutenant Colonel Stuart as they prepare to command portions of the newly formed Army of the Shenandoah.

One particular line of Jackson's dialogue comes across as almost prophetic. In it he states that a northern victory will result in "anarchy, infidelity and the ultimate loss of free and responsible government on this continent" and "the triumph of commerce, banks and the factory." Perhaps "Stonewall" and the founding fathers of the Confederacy predicted the "future America" as being corrupted by corporate scandal, foreign business monopolies, and the abuse of big government? Unfortunately, as I look at the shape of the United States in the 21st-Century, it appears that they were right. The "little guy" definitely got the shaft in favor of the almighty dollar.

Why do I present this? Merely as another example of an ideology that many southern citizens still favor that has nothing to do with the ever-present slavery issue. In other words, as we debate this issue, we need to keep in mind that there are many different aspects to the memory of " the cause" that individuals choose to acknowledge. To judge an entire group of people, by the abuse of some is the exact mentality that civil rights movement fought to overcome. IF America is truly the land of the free - then all of these groups (Yes, BOTH the good and the bad) have every right to express their views whether people agree with them or not. Although I disagree with a lot of groups and a lot of ideology, I am VERY thankful that I live in a country that allows opposing sides of an issue to be heard.

This discussion board for instance, is a perfect example of "freedom of expression" - AND that my friends - is what makes America great! How lucky we are to enjoy its benefits. Obviously, I do not support the "hate" groups that Ulysses has mentioned, but I have to support their right to be heard - just as I expect them to support our rights. The U.S. Constitution does not waver to agendas and political biases and in order to truly abide by it, everyone must have equal representation and opportunity to speak their mind. That means the good, the bad, and the ugly - which (whether we like it or not) always appears in the eye of the beholder.

Not sure if that added anything to the conversation... sometimes I get off topic. I'll step down before I fall off of my soapbox. :)

Close Window