View single post by ashbel
 Posted: Mon Feb 18th, 2008 11:41 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ashbel

Mana: 

Booklover

Tough question.  A few thousand years of discussing, debating, fighting and dying over this one still has not given us an answer.  I think it all comes down to what you yourself believe in.

In my case, my God is not responsible for any event.  He (or she) was not responsible for the tragedy at NIU any more than he was responsible for the University of Texas beating Baylor in basketball.  He wants the best for all of us. Unfortunately, we humans have a way of messing things up.

My God does not answer "gimme prayers" and I am offended when sports teams pray for victory for their team.  Of course, the other team is doing the same.  So I guess it means the players did not pray hard enough rather than play hard enough when their team loses.

My God gives me guidance if I listen.  He helps me make the decisions to do the next right thing to get the most out of every day.

Ten years ago I could have written your initial post.  But some serious illnesses in my family have changed my beliefs.  I received no solace from saying "why me?" when these events happened.  But I have received much comfort and joy from knowing my higher power.

Close Window