View single post by booklover
 Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 06:38 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
booklover

Mana: 

I realize that the questions I've asked are certainly nothing new. People much smarter than I have thought about this and have yet to come up with what I consider to be a satisfying answer. Probably no one ever will. But for those of you who answer that one just has to have faith, I remember the words of Philip Yancy who once wrote that to tell someone who has no faith to just have faith is the cruelest and least helpful thing a person can say.

Considering free will, how free is my will if my choice to reject God means that I will go to hell? I know the argument....if I choose to break the law and get caught, there are consequences to that action. I have free will as to whether or not I will break the law. But what if I don't get caught? The free will argument, at least in the terms of consequences, doesn't apply. Choosing to reject God, if free will is truly free, would mean that I would not be able to partake in whatever there might be to partake in when I die, but it shouldn't mean that my soul will forever be condemned to some "fire and brimstone" torture simply because I can't live up to something that no human being supposedly can. If God is this all powerful being, can my skepticism really hurt him that much? Plus, let's face it. If there is a final judgment, and if Christianity is the one true path, there will be a lot of good and decent people who never massacred a bunch of innocent people and did all they could to make the world a better place who will end up writhing in agony because they don't believe in a bunch of contradictory and mythological stories.

Finally, if the shooter, whose actions were truly evil, is going to hell, does that mean the victims, who were truly innocent, will go to heaven, even if they were non-believers?

Best
Rob

Close Window