View single post by younglobo
 Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 07:13 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
younglobo

Mana: 

Booklover wrote ..."Philip Yancy who once wrote that to tell someone who has no faith to just have faith is the cruelest and least helpful thing a person can say."

This was certainly not my intention , having faith to me is like having the faith of a child Jesus speaks of this Kind of faith in Matt 11:20-30.  Little children would never turn thier backs on thier parents no matter how cruel the parent is , the child still loves them , I can spank my lil one for doing wrong, yes lil one crys and gets mad for a little while but gets over it and minutes later has for gotten because he loves me that much,because i am here father.

You quote Philip Yancy .. I know of a Christian Author Philip Yancey Author of the book "Where is God When it Hurts" I quote from Page 229 (if you have not read this book my mother showed it too me she lost 2 babies at birth and this book helped here walk with God, i would encourage you to do so)

"For whatever reason God chose to make man as he is----limited and suffering and subject to sorrows and death---He had the honesty and courage to take His own medicine . Whatever game He is playing with his creation , he has kept His own rules and played fair. He can exact nothing from man that he has not extracted from himself. He has Himself gone through the whole of human experience, from the trivial irritations of family life and the cramping restrictions of hard work and lack of money to the worst horrors of pain and humiliation,defeat, despair , and death. When He was a man, he played the man. He was born in poverty and died in disgrace and thought it well worthwhile.

The fact that Jesus came to earth where he suffered and died does not remove pain from our lives . But it does show that God did not sit idly by and watch us suffer in isolation. He became one of us. Thus in Jesus , God give us an up-close and personal look at his response to human suffering. All our questions about God and suffering should,in fact , be filtered through what we know about Jesus." END QUOTE

How did God on earth respond to pain? When he met someone in pain he didnt say suck it up , Endure , live with it. When Jesus friend Lazarus died he wept , very often he healed when asked , sometimes breaking rules and customs of his day.  The pattern of jesus reponses would convince us that God is not a God who enjoys seeing us suffer.

I dont think you can ever intellectually figure God out enough that you will say "God you have proven to me you exsist by looking at it intellectually". Believing in God is not like a CSI episode where all the facts are going to lead you to believe in him, God did leave us clues in the bible to point out he is who he says he is (Jesus being who he said he wasGod in the flesh) but to truly believe in God is a heart issue not a head issue and until you can shut down your head enough to believe your heart and give it to God you are at a stand still.

Sorry for the long post Joe and all. Book I think in your original question you are wrestling with in realtionship with God and your walk with him , although I think you are heartfeltly concerned for Joe's family and others involved in this tragedy. Hope I helped and did not cause more harm.

Last edited on Tue Feb 19th, 2008 07:36 pm by younglobo

Close Window