View single post by indy19th
 Posted: Tue Apr 18th, 2006 01:33 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
indy19th
$user_title

Mana: 

Shadowrebel wrote: Indy,

There are descendants of the crew alive today and went to the burial. We are not talking about the Confederate flag, but the U. S. flag. Please re-read my post you used.

The Confederacy was a soverign country. It had every right to secede from the union, i.e. the 10th amendement to the Consitution and the Declaration of Independence. After the war Samual Chase, a Supreme Court Chief Justice, stated it would be a mistake to bring Jefferson Davis to trail because you might find out the South had a right to secede and was soverign nation.

If as you state the Rebels were "traitors" then when did we start using the American flag at the funerals of traitors? Using the American flag in the manner would by a large thing to ask not  "a small thing to ask".

Thank you for you comments

Regards

John

I used your post to bring up a dialogue. This thread has gone in all different directions. I asked legitimate questions that I didn't have the definitive answers for. I assume that there were no restrictions at the ceremony for Confederate flags. The subject of flying or not flying an American flag there, led me to wonder if there were restrictions on anything else. And as far as I know, each member of the crew, could in fact, be buried with a Confederate flag.

I'm not sure what you mean by "using" the American flag at the ceremony. I think we'll have to agree to disagree about that issue.

Secondly, the Confederate States of America was NOT a sovereign nation. They were never recognized as separate by the U.S. federal gov't. They never received foreign recognition. That recognition was required for the CSA to be considered a separate nation.

I don't believe you have your facts straight about Salmon Chase either, but I'm not going to get in a long discussion about it, nor about how the 10th Amendment does NOT grant the right to secede. I've still not heard of anyone that's been able to point out in the Constitution the procedure a state must go through in order to secede. If a state can just up and leave the union, at their whim, it seems hard to believe that we really have a legitimate republic.

Close Window